Are we boys or girls? 2 month old mixed breed bantams. PICS!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jdywntr, May 9, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have 9- 2 month old mixed bantams. They are mixes of americana, bb reds, feather footed, 5 toe, according to the lady I bought them from. They are 8 weeks old to the day. I also have a 3 month old golden laced sebright.
    Are they male or female? There has been no crowing or anything close to it (according to Storey's guide to raising chickens this should occur at 3-8 weeks). Very few have combs so, not much help there. I can't have roos so............

[​IMG]
    #1 This is one of the 2 white bantams.

[​IMG]
    #2This is the other white.

[​IMG]
    #3 this is on of 2 mostly black. (the one showing the whole bird) this one has a bit of green tint on some of the feathers in the sunlight.

[​IMG]
    #4 this is a reddish one. I'm thinking this is a roo. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #5 this is the other black. This one is smaller than the other and the only one with a large comb though its not very red more pink. Also has a bit of green tint.

[​IMG]
    #6 this is a gray/silver one. I think this is a female. No comb, wattles.

[​IMG]
    #7 this is the 3 month old sebright. This BETTER be a female. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #8 this is a mini version of my brown leghorn hen. I'm pretty sure its female. No comb, wattles. I like the poof on her head.

[​IMG]
    #9 this is a mini-mini version of my brown leghorn. I'm thinking female. No comb, wattles

[​IMG]
    #10 this is the mutt of them all. White head, black, brown, red, gray body. I'm thinking roo. A bit of red on the head. I hope not though. It's kinda ugly in a cute way.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    1. cockerel
    2. cockerel
    3.----
    4. cockerel
    5. cockerel
    6. pullet
    7. pullet
    8. pullet
    9. pullet she looks like a bbr oeg..
    10. cockerel

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    crowing at 3-8 weeks,I have had em wait 6 plus months before the first crow.

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. I was going by what Storey's guide said with the 3-8 weeks. [​IMG] I didn't realize that they could take 6+months to start. Hmmm... Any other opinions? I'm going to have to find a home for some. Should I wait and keep my fingers crossed that they don't crow? Not very realistic but is it a possibility?

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    As I was trying to get a closer look at their feathers I discovered something. #3 is a roo as I watched him mount a pullet this morning. Thought it was a little early for that but I have no experience with males.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Last year I had 7 bantams and one did crow rather early, he seem to take on the dom. roo role and the others were alot later. (5/7 were roo) They do seem to mature alot faster than LF. This was my first time raising bantams since I was a kid. The girl crazy thing you mention is surprising to me, My LF dont start that till alot older.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The funniest thing is that I was on the fence about this one being female. He's a bit more brave than the others but not overly so. #1 and # 8 are constantly sparing but this one never does anything to any of the others. I was VERY surprised about the mating though. And due to my vantage point there was definite uh, how do I put this, penitration. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that maybe some won't crow. [​IMG] If not its off to craigslist they go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by