1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are we boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by archil, Dec 6, 2012.

1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    I have a white leghorn and an australorp, both about 7 weeks old. Can anyone tell me if i have boys or girls.
    I get a lot of fighting between them att exciting times like when i let them out to run around or when i bring interesting food, mainly chest bumps and chasing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they arent very good models, if you need better pictures i can totally uderstand and will take some asap.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both look like cockerels at this age

3. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    Quote: aw man
    i live in the city
    ill have to get rid of them

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the leghorn looks like a roo the australorp not so much give them some more time before you get rid of them, to make sure they are indeed boys or not

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Ya, the australorp looks to have thick legs in the pics from the front, and the leghorn has a large reddish comb. I think you should wait also. :)

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The Leghorn is definitely a roo, but don't give up on the Australorp just yet, it might start laying in a few months! Please make sure to post more pics of the Australorp in a few weeks, it should be borderline obvious by then. [​IMG]

7. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    okay, for future reference
    can any of you tell me which characteristics let you know what sex they were?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

The Leghorn is a rooster as the comb is red at 7 weeks, Leghorns develop much quicker because of their large combs, i have a leghorn chicks and it already has a bright yellow comb coming through as 1 week old. I'm not sure on the Australorp by swaying towards rooster.

9. dani0304

dani0304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that your leghorn is a rooster, and the other one being a pullet/hen. I have neighbours and I have a cockerel and they love him, check with your neighbours and see what they think?

10. dani0304

dani0304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Oh and we lock ours in at night and leave them out later in the morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by