Are we Call Ducks? **Updated Pics!!

mangus580

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Western NY
Ok, so these ducklings were sold to me as Pastel Call Ducks....

Are they? The 2 larger ducks are about 5 weeks old, and the smaller one is about 4 weeks.

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

Last edited:
They look like calls to me, was the person that sold them to you "visually impared" because those are no where close to pastel calls.

It has been my experience that when two different color types cross , for example a white and gray call cross will be black bibbed like these.
Quote:

I don't know genetics. But there are some genetic wizzards on here. It maybe possible that these have pastel parents and carry the genes for pastels. Perhaps they'll produce some for you someday.
fl.gif
Good luck with them.
Quote:

Well, your ducklings are blue with bibs (might be some black but really hard to tell in the light), but not good bibs at all.

Pastels are basically the mallard pattern with two Blue dilution genes. It is the same as what is called Apricot in bantam Mallards. The birds you have got are not close to that at all - they have Extended Black, which means you would not want to use them in a pastel breeding program. They may well carry some of the relevant genes (the blue ones anyway) but the Extended Black will just mask anything that you pair them with. Plus, the bib will keep cropping up.

Unfortunately whoever sold you these did not know much about breeding Pastel Calls
sad.png

They are very pretty little ducks though.

What do you think you will do?

It really depends if the white is masking the particular gene, whites can mask anything.

Back
Top Bottom