Are we Cockerals? (Buff Wyandottes)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just had a bunch of babies hatch so it's time to move these big ones out of the brooder, but I would like to rehome the Roo's before I move them to their new tractor.

These are the ones I suspect to be Cockerals, Whatta you think?
    #1 - 6wk old buff wyandotte
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#2 - 6wk old buff wyandotte
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2 for sure is cockerel and the 1st one could go either way but im leaning towards cockerel on it to

3. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    I have a 6 week old silver laced wyandotte who has a comb like #2 and many said it could be a pullet. Apparently Wyandottes are hard to sex.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Wyandottes have Rose combs, not Pea combs =). EE's are terrible to sex though & they do have Pea combs.

I listed #2 on CL, along with a Black Laced Red cockeral I have, so hopefully someone will fall in love with them and come pick em up! Thank you guys =)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    I'm laughing because you are so right and I am so wrong. That info on the peacomb came from my research on our Ameraucana...not Wyandottes. Blah!!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I would not part with them just yet. They look like pullets to me. If they have rounded neck feathers, that's pullet. If they are more pointed, that says cockeral. This is one breed you can't judge by the comb alone. :thumbsup

8. Shortbread

Shortbread New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    What did you end up doing? At what point were you able to tell? I've got a gal buff wyandotte that may be a boy ? :( and I'm wondering when I should throw in the towel....

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by