are we crazy for considering this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stargazingmommy, May 15, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    So we finally got our little crazy crooked coop finished and it's in use and I think well liked by the chickens and ducks...
    however...teenagers.
    My oldest kid has been sketching out a new coop she wants me to build with her. It's a castle turret, with a moat around it for the ducks, and the pop door is the drawbridge.
    am I crazy for considering this idea?
    There would be areas between the moat and the coop for grazing. There would be fence most of the way around it, to keep the chickens out.
    She wants to do the classic flat top with the wall turret, but with the snow we get here sometimes it would need to be the cap(pointed).

And all I can think...I will actually have to measure this time.

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Sounds like an awesome together project. Make the teen do all the measuring [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Do It!!!

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I don't really mind the measuring...just half the time I can't find one of the 4 or 5 tape measures roaming around, or the yard stick, or even a ruler...
    So what I end up doing is just cutting a piece the length I want and using that to measure the others. usually with out a pen or pencil handy...It's actually quite fun, and can make for interesting results

5. Mama Austranought

Mama Austranought Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Western Australia
    Quote:Sounds so familiar... [​IMG] I'd love to see the finished result! GO artistic teenagers!

6. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I've got 2 little girls, and I think that if one of them actually was willing to sketch up the design, and work beside me to help it become a reality, I'd have no choice but to help her build it. We will, of course, require pics if/when you build this castle. There aren't a lot of cute duck house designs around.

7. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I agree with Ceilismom. How could you not!? It would be fabulous and the project will be something you two will always have,at least in memory.

8. snozzleberry

snozzleberry Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Sounds like the coolest coop ever! If you do build the chicken castle, you should create a coop design page of the process. It would be one of the most unique of the coop pages I have seen. I would love to see how you made it happen! I am just about to finish building my first coop (actually, it is the first of anything I have ever built) and wish that I had documented it for a coop page. Your child's design sounds pretty advanced though. Do it anyway!

9. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    What a great idea! The moat would help keep non-swimming predators out too. Please post pics if you do it.

10. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Sounds awesome. We just built our first coop ever a few months ago and already have designs drawn out for a several hundred square foot chicken complex. Mt wife is obsessed even though she wont admit it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by