1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are we doing everything right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Studio2770, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Our chicken, Amelia got into the neighbor's yard and their dog got to her. She has several cuts on her back and shoulder. We loaded them up with hydrogen peroxide and some petroleum jelly. We saw her meat.[​IMG]We put her in a large dog kennel with bedding, food, and water with vitamins and electrolytes. She's in our garage currently. Since it's chilly and she has exposed areas, we put a small heater in front of the kennel. Any suggestions on what we can do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to apply to the wounds daily. Look for any puncture wounds from teeth--you might want to reopen any that have closed up and scabbed over because those tend to abscess in 2-3 days. An antibiotic such as amoxicillin or clavamox from your vet might be helpful. Keeping the wounds clean, watching for infection, and keeping her safe are the important things, and it sounds like you are doing well. Tempt her with a few high protein snacks like eggs in addition to her feed.

3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I think we have Neosporin or a generic brand. We found puncture wounds and soaked hydrogen peroxide on them and then put petroleum jelly on them. We may get antibiotics. We got plenty of eggs. She's acting well. We moved her to the patio so she could see the backyard and she wanted to come out! I turned the kennel so she wouldn't see the backyard so she could take it easy. Thanks for the advice! Any more is appreciated!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to keep puncture wounds from scabbing over, but if you can open them twice a day for 2 days, and keep neosporin on them, you may be able to prevent the abscesses. A QTip and peroxide for those two days is your best bet.

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    There is an area where we can see muscle with some detached skin. I don't have a photo at the moment but do you think we should have the area stitched somehow?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    These type wounds amazingly heal pretty well, and I would not normally stitch up a dirty bite would, unless you had a vet do it.

7. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Wow. Chickens are quite unique animals. It's more of a flap of skin rather than loose skin. Would she be fine with a heater since it's chilly outside?

8. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Will she still lay?

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It depends on how stressed out she is. The attack may have stressed her out enough for her to stop laying temporarily. But, as long as she isn't internally injured, she should lay again.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't overheat her, but adding a little extra heat might help. You want her to be able to go back outside to the flock in a couple of weeks. She may lay or because of the stress, take some time off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by