1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

are we getting close?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vclark321, Sep 12, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chirping

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    2 of the girls will get into the submissive, 'I'm ready' mounting position when I pet them. Does this mean I should start seeing eggs soon? Right now they are mowing the lawn. They are 20 weeks old already. Give me strenght!

2. dantodd

dantodd In the Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    My 2 Delawares just started doing the same this weekend. They'll be 21wks this Wednesday. Of course we're leaving town Wednesday for 10 days. I suspect my chicken sitters will be rewarded with their first eggs.

3. srpaint

srpaint Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Mine started doing that about 3 weeks before they started laying. It was that and then the combs turned a deep red. After the comb color changed it was only about a week til I got my first egg.

4. vclark321

vclark321 Chirping

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Ok. Thank you. My girls have nice red combs and wattles. So I am hoping to see some action soon.

5. LT

LT Songster

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:We have 1 of 9 laying, and she has been laying for a month!!! But we are going out of town next week too. I am certain that is when all the others will start laying. It will be their way of reminding me I am not in charge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by