Are we Golden Comets?

cmychicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
These 3 ladies are 7 weeks old. Are they Golden Comets? If not, what are they. Thanks.

34133_golden_girls.jpg

34133_cammi.jpg

"red sexlinks"....... I've seen that term used before. Can you explain what it means?

Quote:
Sex-link is a term used to describe the sex-linking between sexes. When a male (in this case a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red) male is crossed with a Rhode Island White or a White Plymouth Rock, the females will inherit the male red coloring, while the males will inherit the white coloring.

There will be some cross-coloring (the few white feathers on the females and the few red feathers on the males), but that coloring will not show up until they are much older and getting their feathers in.

The purpose of the sex-link is a dual purpose. It lays eggs VERY well, and because of their sex-linked colorations, are able to be sexed at day 1.

There are different colors, such as the red sex-link, gold sex-link and black sex-link. Hatcheries have different names for their sex-link...even though they are made from the same type of fowl. Some of the "strain" names are "Amber Sex-Links", "Gold Comets", "Red Comets" and "Black Stars". (There are several more strains out there, but this was just a run down.)

They look a little bit like our gold sex-links (I think Golden Comets are the same thing, or a certain strain of gold sex-links). Here's a pic of one of our sex-links:

28038_100_7072.jpg

Our other two have much more white right now than this one, like yours seem to, and this is the brownest of the three. I don't have a pic uploaded of either of the other two, or I'd post it.

I'm not quite sure how much red sex-links look like gold sex-links, but they could probably be reds, too.

I have 5 from last year. They are fantastic layers. Mine started laying at 16weeks and haven't stopped. 1 did just go broody recently but if I understand correctly that isn't common.

As for coloring, mine are from nearly all red to white with red running the veins of the of the feathers. That one is really pretty she looks like old lace.

ETA---I did end up with a roo in this bunch. He was all white except for a small path of red on each wing. Oh the white isn't bright white like a leghorn but more of a blonde color.

ETA--I also have Black sexlinks. My blacks are very big birds. Maybe 8lbs. The red sexies are much smaller, the largest being maybe 5 lbs

Last edited:
They look just like mine. Comets, stars, sex-linked are all the same from what I understand. They come in red, gold or black. Not sure if there are other colors. One of mine is almost all the light color, very pretty
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom