1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are we Hens or Roos??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mom2Munchkins, May 19, 2009.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    ok, I may have posted pics of some of these guys in the past. This is my first batch I ever hatched myself. They are just barnyard mixes. And yeah, bad pics again. [​IMG] See, we're building a new area for the chickens, so they're in temporary housing, which they do not appreciate. [​IMG] So if anyone knows what these guys are, any help is appreciated! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 (Same as #1)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I think I see a few roos in there.. the 3rd pic and the rusty colored chicken too.

3. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    #3 is a roo for sure. I think #1, 4, & 6 are hens....not sure about the rest.

4. noplacebo

noplacebo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    number 3 is a roo for sure. the rising comb closer to the beak is a dead giveaway. check for pointy neck feathers too. the girls will have more rounded neck feathers and it usually starts showing about now.

combine that with any sort of boisterousness (like coming to see what's happening when you're taking photos!!) and you can be fairly sure they'll be crowing soon.

5. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks!! I really don't need this many roosters!! [​IMG]

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    yeah 3 for sure, and I think 8?? the rest all look like hens though [​IMG]

7. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    So 1 and 6 are hens even though they have pink in their combs?? As you can see, this is my first time trying to figure out the sex of a chicken. So does alot of it have to do with how far back the comb goes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by