Are we Japanese Bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IcarusSomnio, May 30, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I bought a Japanese Bantam hen at auction with five chicks. Four 'white/buff' (they USED to be white, now their buff/tanish) and one black-brown one. All had feathered shanks. I lost three unexpectedly. They just got weak and keeled over [​IMG]

I'm wondering if the remaining two are Japanese Bantams or some sort of cross breed? Something completely different? Hen was black-tailed white. I never got any pictures of her, she was a 'OH DEAR GOD IT'S A HUMAN RUN!' kinda hen. Loud too O-O

One makes the usual: Peep peep peep! noise but the other makes a kind of clucky-gobbly noise...?
    Like hen like chick, these two are a real pain to catch and hold.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, snapped them with my web cam. Cameras in the car ^^':

Chicklet 1, the bigger one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicklet 2, the smaller one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Japanese are not featherleged.I think they are mixes( may be with Cochin).Or they can be pure Cochin bantams .Post pictures when grow-up.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. jerry2009

jerry2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    yup definatly no japanese...and not even cochins either cause there tails are too upright...probably just a mix...

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They seem to have short legs so they must be a japanese mix.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    im going to say either poorly bred cochins (just cuase their tails are upright doesnt mean they arent cochins, just a bad example of the breed) or cochins mixed with japs

6. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    When I got them the hen was brooding them, so I'd guess they where her eggs that she hatched. I did get them at auction so for all I know they could be some sort of whatever-rooster-happened-to-be-around Siljapacochin [​IMG]

They where such cuties when they where little and white. Now everyone seems to be going through the ugly duckling phase as they get their 'real feathers' in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by