1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are we mutts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by texasgirl, May 27, 2007.

1. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    These chicks are 9-12 weeks old (what do you think?) and I got them from a friend of a friend of a friend and I have no idea what they are or if they are just 'mutts'.
    I know the blue legs can mean Americauna right?
    Any ideas on breed?
    The first, "Marie", is very skittish, scared of everything, wont come within 10 feet of you. She is all blue/gray...very blue feet (It didn't come through well in the pics but they are quite blue) and she has darker tips on her feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second, "Coletta", is very friendly, 'fatter' and shorter. She is a very very very dark brown/black with some orange on her chest mostly.
    Her legs and feet are large and thick and sort of a brownish green and yellow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*sorry if the pics are too big

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would say Easter Egger mixes because they have single combs and Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers should have pea combs. Pretty blue girl, though.

3. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you Cynthia!
    I had looked at tons of pictures to try and ID them and had no luck so I was pretty sure they were EE's at this point.
    Thanks for the reply!
    ---Lindsey in Tx

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're welcome! For comparison, here are some of my Blue Ameraucanas(true Ameraucana, not EE, but close enough) so you can see the similarities, even though mine are only less than six weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by