Are we on track? 1.5 lbs at 21 days

themagicash

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Austin
I checked the welp hatchery chart and they report their cx should be around 1.9 on day 21. My cx range from 1.5 - 1.3. I feed them 24%. Are we on track? This is my first time raising cx.

Thanks!

There are many factors to consider but first and foremost are they cockerels or pullets (male or female). The chart has data for both. Make sure the scales you use are reliable and accurate.

More factors to consider; living conditions, stress, how you feed and how long the feed is in front of them each day (12 hours maximum), I could go on and on. On Welp's site along with the chart is a detailed article on feeding instructions.

If you google (see top of this page) "feeding cxs" you will find a wealth of info right here on this site.

Check out this website for feeding information. www.lionsgrip.com/chickens.html

Best
of luck to you!

Did yours hatch on 10/20 also? MINE DID!!! (I found a buddy...
smile.png
)

Anyways...I just went and weighed some, and I had 1.8, 1.5, 1.4, 1.5, 1.3, 1.6. The 1.8 I KNOW has to be a roo...I suspect another roo or two in the few I just grabbed...but that's pretty close. Also, mine hatched on a Wednesday, and got TO ME On SATURDAY - That's a half a week of travel! So, I've actually been considering Saturday their actual weigh in day because that was the first day they got to eat
smile.png

Also - purely in avoidance of all the things caused by rapid growth (like wompy legs and flip)...I kinda under feed a little I think...mine have been going out pretty much every day for weeks already, as long as it has been nice, and I LET THEM run out of food for a couple hours before I catch them up for bedtime in the brooder. Firstly, all I have to do is pop up with chicken food and they all come running and are easy to scoop up. Secondly, it gives them reason to eat grass and bugs and whatnot and run around like a chicken. They have food available, now that I think about it, 8 hours a day - 10 if you count their "range time" in the tractor since they can eat whatever is out there...

Mine might be a touch smaller, but I've only lost 2 very early on during power outages while I slept - too chilly/squished chicken = bad combo
sad.png
So I'm not complaining - I'd rather be a tad scrawny than over fat and falling down
smile.png

So, yeah...I think you're pretty close to their chart
smile.png

Thanks for all the replies! Well maybe we are on track! There is one extremely small chick in the group which is odd. I'm pretty sure its still a cx and I do see it eating a lot. I hope to move them outside this weekend. They are in a large dog crate in my garage. I have 10 birds. I turn their light off around 10pm.

Back
Top Bottom