Are we ready to live outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarriBrown, Apr 23, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are my two BLRW monsters, Hotwing and Nugget.

[​IMG]

Hotwing (the suspected pullet) is 6 weeks old. Nugget (suspected roo [​IMG] ) is 4 weeks two days. It is going to be 80 during the day with a low of 60 at night all this week. Should I wait until Nugget is 6 weeks to put them out in the tractor??

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Gosh, they've grown since the last picture I saw of them!
    I would say the temps are about right and they have their feathers, so....yeah.
    I know if the temps had been the same four weeks ago, instead of freezing and snowing [​IMG], I would have had my girls out at six weeks old.
    Oh, wait. I just re-read and realized Nugget is only 4. Hmmmm. I defer to the wise ones.
    So my answer is:
    Hotwing and Nugget look great!! [​IMG]

3. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Are you planning to leave them in the tractor overnight? My guess is 60 degrees would still be a bit on the cool side for 4 weeks old. But, that's just a guess, I really don't know for sure...
    On the other hand, if the tractor has an enclosure for them and if they had a light for warmth...I don't see why they couldn't stay out there.

Boy. I guess I'm not much help! Sorry!! Beautiful birds, tho. [​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to play it safe and bring them inside for the next couple weeks. When Nugget feathers out a little more, I'll keep them out overnight. It's only going to get hotter as the weeks pass....
    I've been putting them outside for about 4 hours a day so they can burn some energy off. They are getting a little stir crazy in their brooder. This weekend, I'm going to move the tractor into the run and let them stay in there for the day. That should poop them out! [​IMG]

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Carri what does BLRW stand for? They are really cute, and I love their names!

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I had mine out a 5wks in the tractor. I'd just put a tarp over them at night and if it was going to be between 20 -30degrees at night I'd put a heatlamp on but they'd still go up and huddle together away from the lamp. At that time there was 25 of them. Now they are around 7-8wks and they do fine with no cover or lamp and there is only 5 as we gave the others away since we really only wanted to start with 5.

7. CarriBrown

Quote:Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Thank you! They are pretty funny, and I LOVE how they are coloring out. Here are a couple pics of dark adults. I think they are just beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow carrie they are gorgeous, now I must have some of those, too. Every time I say, ok, that is enough I see pictures of beautiful chickens that are just so tempting [​IMG]

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh carrie they are devine do you show them or are they pets.
    I love the colours, beautiful photos
    Helen

10. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Quote:That is too funny Ozark Hen, I was thinking the same thing, Maybe a couple more wouldn't hurt,

CarriBrown, they are gorgeous. I have three Silver Laced and they are really starting to show their colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by