Are we red sex-links or NH Reds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bucolic beauty, May 9, 2011.

1. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    I originally thought these two were Red Stars/red sex-links but as they're maturing(they're 7 weeks), their plumage looks quite a bit different than the other two red sex-links. They're more of a reddish-brown-buff(I'm not really even sure how to describe the color), have only tiny amounts of white feathering and have black-tipped tail feathers. Could they be New Hampshire Reds? I got them from My Pet Chicken in a 20 assorted brown egg layers pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a picture with the Red Star for comparison
    [​IMG]
    Am I a roo? Look at the size of my comb and wattles compared to my friends!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the 3rd pic, the one at the back fence line with all the excess white near her back end is a red sex link. The others are New Hampshires (the breed name doesn't actually contain the word "red"). Not sure if the last one is a cockerel. I had one hatchery NH pullet with a huge comb myself once, but could be a male, sure.

3. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    It could be but I think more along the lines of Production Red. They are likely PR that the hatchery normally includes in egg layer assortments. The best help I can offer is that either one of three breeds will be great eggers!

I have six Red Sex-Link Hens that I love and the flock produced and still produces five eggs per week through early spring into late October then slowly taper down and usually stop laying in January and start again in march. Production peeks in early April and doesn't slow until fall. This is pending no health issues. They have continued this pattern from the time the began laying at 18-21 weeks old. They are beyond anything I could have imagined for eggers.

Good Luck!

Timothy

4. FlowerFarmer

FlowerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    This looks very similar to my New Hampshire ~ She's 12 weeks old now and is my favorite bird.
    Mine does not have any white like yours, but she has the same black marks on the tips of the tail feathers, and also has black tips on her wings, and black marks around the back of her neck.
    Enjoy these birds! My NHR, named Gurdy, is the most curious and the most tame.. always the first to come running up to my daughter to see if she brought treats (and shes only 15 months old).

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It could be but I think more along the lines of Production Red.

My Pet Chicken does not supply Production Reds. They do, however, supply NHs. [​IMG]

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    No doubt New Hampshires (though poor quality makes it hard to tell [​IMG]). My next door neighbor has one from MPC that looks identical to those.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    My production reds don't look like your chickens. Mine are redder. Yours look more brownish to me. [​IMG]

8. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Thank you so much, everyone! With your help, I've finally been able to identify the 8 different breeds/crosses/hybrids that make up our 20 assorted brown egg layers from MPC.

9. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    After re-reading his original post, and the new posts, I know now that I was wrong. I had over-looked the fact that he purchased from meyer. I have to say though, I have a Rooster (from Cackle) that has caused much debate on BYC's breed/gender threads. He looks likee a NH in every way, to me at least. However on Cackle it seemed about four out of six people thought he was a Production Red. Now I am unsure. Here are some pictures of him and you can tell me what you think to help clear this up. He is 14 months old

The Rooster with his six Red Sex-Link hens (also from cackle and almost three years old) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Rooster at eight months old:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by