Are we Reds? Buff Orps? Girls Boys? Video

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OliviaDeHav, Aug 14, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    I did a video on my youtube page...
    Had a video...removed the link...thanks for the input......... [​IMG]

Can you help me figure out what i have and genders? I will list my chickens and hopefull along with my video I can get some input:
    Milla/camillla - 8 weeks old, lighter red color, very yellow legs - NH Red? Production Red?
    Angel - 8 weeks old, darker color red, light legs - RI Red? NH Red?

Olivia - 5 weeks old, suppose to be buff orpington, bigger than the others, bluish/white legs, darker than the others
    Gorgette - 5 week old, suppose to be Buff, still has fuzzy head, bluish/white legs, looks like wattles coming! is she george?
    Blondie - very light, pinkish/white legs, tail straight out, smaller head - shaped like a dove, scratchy voice

I have another one Lucy, but she is by herself right now in the brooder. I can't get her to stop being agressive. She was the one who was ill in the beginning, or i thought it was ill... I'm thinking she is not right in the head [​IMG] When we first got her, she'd stand and stare at the wall while the others ran around and even knocked into her, her legs were weak, she could not hold up her wings.... now she just fights and makes problems [​IMG] I hope some time by herself and reintroduction might help.... but she looks a lot like Olivia, except her legs are yellow - but her tail is down like Blondie.

I think i have Mutts! [​IMG] but We love them..... [​IMG] I'll say, i wonder what we have and my husband will say, "we have chickens" [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Firearia

Firearia Songster

I think those are all buff orpingtons in the first video! Give me a sec and I'll double check.

At 1:12 that's your only red. The rest looked like my baby buffs! [​IMG]

EDIT: Also from what I can see they're all pullets for now. I know most of my roos made it super obvious around that age.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The light Buff colored ones with White legs are Buff Orpingtons, the Red ones with Yellow legs are Production Reds...

Chris

4. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Again, i didn't get notice from yahoo.... i think it does not like BYC.....doesn't it know how important chickens are!

At 1:12, that is Milla - Production red? What about my REALLY dark girl? is she a RI Red? George is a Georgette??? Even with the wattles?? really?? I'm hoping so, I like him/her... she/he is really quirky LOL
    Thanks for the input [​IMG]

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:What about the really really dark girl with the lighter legs? And i have that one "buff" with yellow legs - what do yellow legs mean in terms of breed?? I noticed today that Olivia - buff orp - has 2 dark feathers coming on her tail... does that change anything?
    Just curious [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What about the really really dark girl with the lighter legs? And i have that one "buff" with yellow legs - what do yellow legs mean in terms of breed?? I noticed today that Olivia - buff orp - has 2 dark feathers coming on her tail... does that change anything?
    Just curious [​IMG]

They are both a type of production red it is just that one is lighter than the other...

Chris

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. Firearia

Firearia Songster

Just curious [​IMG]

If they have yellow legs, it's a buff rock. Also it depends on how dark the feathers are. I know my little Storm has darker rooster feathers coming from his tail.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Just curious [​IMG]

If they have yellow legs, it's a buff rock. Also it depends on how dark the feathers are. I know my little Storm has darker rooster feathers coming from his tail.

There not Buff Rocks..
    Did you look at the video of them?

Chris

9. Firearia

Firearia Songster

Quote:If they have yellow legs, it's a buff rock. Also it depends on how dark the feathers are. I know my little Storm has darker rooster feathers coming from his tail.

There not Buff Rocks..
    Did you look at the video of them?

Chris

Yep, I re checked and there are none. I got confused until I read your previous comment. I thought they were talking about the actual 'buff orpington' having yellow legs. Many people get confused on buff orpington and buff rocks. I thought they may have missed a chicken in the video or something, because I saw no buffs with yellow legs. Therefore I threw out what I knew.

10. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Just curious [​IMG]

They are both a type of production red it is just that one is lighter than the other...

Chris

Wow....really??? What makes them both production? I've been trying to find out what makes a production red a production red?? One is light with yellow legs and one is dark with light legs, why would they both be production?? Not doubting you.... just trying to learn the difference? Are they MUTT reds? Sort of a mix of many Reds?
    Thanks for the education [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by