Are we roo's? - More pics added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CatKai, Jul 24, 2010.

1. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Is there any possible way this is not a roo? The 1st pic was 2 or 3 weeks ago, next 2 I took today. I was told this one was 6-8 weeks when I got it on May 24th so if that was right it's about 4 months old now. The other 2 I got at the same time I am sure are pullets (different breeds), this one had the smallest comb of all 3 to start with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am thinking I may have a roo or 2 or 3 in this next bunch as well. Of the 6 I got a week ago, 3 have small pale combs and 3 have thicker and or redder combs. One stays red all the time and the other 2 seem to fluctuate some in how dark they are. The 3 I am not sure on have thick legs as well, compared to the 3 I am calling pullets. I got these a week ago, was told they were 12 weeks old. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd pics I am wondering about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    It looks to be a roo to me. Has he crowed yet mine did at 4 months.

3. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    No crowing at all yet, not even any odd sounds. Those pretty greenish black tail feathers seem to grow by the day these last few days and 2 of them are a little longer than the rest.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The first one is a roo. In the 2nd group of pics, pic 2 & 3 look like roos.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Top one is definitely a roo - no ifs ands or buts. The darker one in the second of the lower pictures MAY be, but I would need other pictures to know for sure.

Good luck!

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    For me only hen is white bird on last picture

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    They all look roo-ish to me, except for the light-colored pullet in the last photo (but I'm a newbie).

Your light brahma doesn't have an obvious comb yet, but if s/he is only 13 weeks as you were told it's definitely got a lot more comb development than mine did at that age. Those are some of the slowest to mature.

8. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    I didn't think I'd get any pullet votes on that top one but still wanted to ask... I was holding on to that not crowing yet thing [​IMG]... Now to find him a new home, I considered if I should try and caponize him if he was a he. After what I have read on this forum, I think that may not be what I should do.

I am going to go try and get picks of all 6 of the new ones individually, all are supposed to be EE's. Sold to me as Ameraucana, I knew when I saw them they were not but that was fine as blue-green / green egg layers was what I wanted.

Thanks,
    Kim

9. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Ok, they were not happy about it but I got a few pics of these younger ones. I was told 12 weeks a week ago, 2 are smaller than the others so I am guessing they were more like 10 weeks? It might be hard to see but they all have ear muffs/beards to some degree. My older EEs that are laying now have smaller/larger combs than each other so I am not sure I can go on size but what about color at this age?

This is the smallest of them all, I think pullet.
    #1 [​IMG]
    This one (peachy colored in front) is just a little bigger than the one above, I think pullet. The one behind is the next one below.
    #2 [​IMG]
    This one I go back and forth on but leaning towards pullet, most of the time the comb is light, gets redder occasionally.
    #3 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has a smallish comb but it stays dark red.
    #4 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These next 2 I am thinking roo for sure.
    #5 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    #1 and #2 -girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by