Are we still saying boy???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdface, Nov 6, 2011.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Just want to triple double check and make sure everyone thinks this blue amer. is a boy. They go back on tues, and id really hate that it was actually a girl, since they are kinda hard to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Tough one... The black one is 100% cockerel, but the lighter blue one I'm not sure about. It doesn't necessarily look boyish, but neither does it really look like a pullet. could you keep it longer? How old is it?

3. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    If those two are the same age I would say the lighter one is a girl. The black one has much more devoloped comb and wattles.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    No way would I send it back just yet. That's gonna be a gorgeous bird. Male or female? No guess from me. Ask another BYC'er, "Illia". If she says male, it's male. I take her word for gospel regarding sexing ameracaunas.[​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about comparing growth ofthe 2 since they are completely different breeds. You can't really go by that.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Yeah i can keep it longer, they dont have to go back just yet..it just works out that tuesday is a good day for me to do it. They are about 5 1/2 weeks i think. The black one was supposed to be a blue amer. too but turns out its not.

6. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Sorry, but neither look like Americauna's to me - - -- But the blue one COULD be a boy - - - -

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Those are not Ameraucana combs ... Ameraucanas have pea combs. Those birds both have single combs .... [​IMG]

8. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Quote:X2

9. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    One On the left loils like pullet to me.

10. flowerhensowner

flowerhensowner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    If It Has A Wide Based Comb It Is A Roo Have Several Americuanas And My Roos Have A Wide Base To There Combs When They Where Young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by