1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are we still thinking RIR and Production Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mehpenn, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    I've got three hens that I started out with, as two day old chicks. When I first began posting their pics, asking what breed they may be, some of you said they were production red's and then some said the darker one could be a RIR.
    Now that they're older, I was wondering what you guys think? Still production reds and RIR?

Two of them are lighter red, some black in their tails, with smaller combs. One is a darker red, with a little black in her tail, and a larger comb. They all have yellow legs. They are the same size.

I apologize in advance as I'm terrible at taking pics of them..... especially the darker one, she wants to be right up on me.

Lighter reds:
    Hallie
    [​IMG]

Sallie
    [​IMG]

Darker Red:
    Callie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Together:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are not pure bred RIR, that is certain. They are nice, happy plump looking red hens and you'll likely have great egg production.

Here is a picture of a plain old hatchery RIR. Mind you, she is NOT even close to Standard of Perfection for a Rhodie. Yet, note how deep, shiny mahogany colored she is.

[​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    production reds. nice lookin ones tho [​IMG]

4. Mehpenn

Mehpenn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Gastonia, NC
    Okay, so let me ask this, because it's been bugging me to know.
    Why are there combs different?
    The darker red one's is a good deal larger than the lighter ones, and the lighter one's is... well, lighter.

And... does that RIR have slate legs, in the pic or does it just look that way?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, Production Reds. Which can also clump New Hampshires in there too.

Either way they're hatchery based NH or NH x hatchery based RIR.

6. Fred's Hens

Quote:My camera stinks. That little RIR has gorgeous yellow legs. [​IMG][​IMG]

If I had to hazard a guess on your birds? Their body type and coloration screams New Hampshire blend. I've had some. Awesome layers and wonderful birds. I just don't see the RIR in them. As for the combs, each bird is totally unique as humans are with noses.

7. Fred's Hens

Here's a different photo where the coloration was rendered more accurately.

[​IMG]

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my Production Red, 26 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by