Are we there yet? I feel like I've been waiting forever.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krisZ, Aug 18, 2014.

1. krisZ

krisZ New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    So I think it's almost time for my four pullets to start laying. Their wattles have all darkened (all except our black one, cause well, her's is black), they've been acting all nesty in the straw in the run, and yesterday one let out this insane call that they've never done before; it sounded kinda like a ticking time bomb. I went ahead and took the precaution of putting straw in their nesting boxes and even put a couple easter eggs in one of them and they seemed very interested in these "eggs."

Can anyone give any insight as to whether my hunch might be right? I'm not entirely sure about their age, but I'm guessing they're about 4 months old.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello fellow Ohioan!

I'm in Strasburg Ohio. Depending on the breed, the laying can start anywhere from 17 to 25 weeks. So it's getting very close.....One big clue is that, when my young pullets are ready to lay, they will do a hard squatting position when I reach out to pet them. Then I know that eggs will be coming in a week or two.

3. krisZ

krisZ New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    thanks! that's good to know, they haven't done any squatting yet but hopefully soon :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by