Are welsh harlequin and snowy mallards similar?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AuberyMirkwood, Dec 6, 2011.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I asked earlier for a small breed duck in which the females were not horribly loud and several people mentioned welsh harlequin, are welsh harlequin similar to snowy mallards? Because IDEAL doesn't offer welsh harlequins and I was hoping to just add one to my order this spring.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:No, they are not. Snowy mallards are Much louder im guessing if they are anything like grey mallards. And If I were you and I was getting my welsh harlequins somewhere I would go to metzer farms. That and holderreads are the two best places for ducks [​IMG] good luck though!

3. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:No, they are not. Snowy mallards are Much louder im guessing if they are anything like grey mallards. And If I were you and I was getting my welsh harlequins somewhere I would go to metzer farms. That and holderreads are the two best places for ducks [​IMG] good luck though!

Thank you! I will look into that!

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I got 4 welsh harlequins from metzers and I adore them [​IMG] very friendly, pretty, and loves to be around you.

5. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:I agree! They are just so sweet and pretty! Welsh harlequins are without a doubt my favorite breed! [​IMG]

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Snowy mallards and Welsh Harlequin ducks will have a similar look. The mallards will be half the size (if they are proper mallards, no telling what you will get from a hatchery), and the mallards will be much less efficient at laying eggs.

Mallards are listed at 25-100 eggs per year and WHs are expected to lay 250-300 eggs per year.

Mallards will fly, WH probably don't get very high off the ground, nor cover very much distance. They can get a couple of feet off the ground for 10 feet or so.

7. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:I'm more interested in non racket makers then egg production. I raised 7 pekins as a teen and I'm REALLY gun shy now. I want a mixed flock, I don't want deafening noise ALL DAY!

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The only quiet ducks are the Muscovy.

9. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    Snowy Mallards are SNOWY and Welsh Harlequins are HARLEQUIN. Two totally different patterns, but they look similar if you don't know what you are looking at. We raise both breeds and have for ten years. I love both of them, and would recommend both for good breeds but I can tell you, you will not get really nice quality birds if you are purchasing either from a hatchery. Snowy Mallards from Ideal are more Call-ish in appearance and although they will look like the average hatchery Mallard, they don't have the nice streamlined Mallard look to them most of the time. We have been breeding Snowy Mallards since 2002/3 and I can tell you now, 8/9 years later, we only have a couple of birds that even half way compare to the quality you find in nice SHOW grey mallards. My little photo in the upper left corner is one of the nicest drakes we hatched, and he is nice, but still lacks the streamline look. Though he did well at a few shows, greys beat him if there were nice quality greys there. Welsh Harlequins are an excellent breed, with many practical attributes. Our are SUPREME foragers and find much of their own food when the grass is green and they have the ability to range over a large enough area. Ours are excellent layers, but have been bred and culled for laying ability and to the show Standard. Hatchery birds are breed for QUANTITY not QUALITY, so what you get from them is hard to say. We had Snowy Mallards from Ideal at one time that came from someone else, but we only kept them for a short time and never bred from them because they would have been going-backwards in our breeding program not forwards. There are several breeders out there that sell hatching eggs if you wanted to try to raise either breeds in a small scale.
    K&S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by