Are Welsummer chicks bullies?? Please advise!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hooterville, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I just received my order from Cackle--I ordered Welsies, buff orps, cuckoo marans, cochins and mixed layers. Out of 48, 2 of the cochins didn't make it. [​IMG]

But the rest look great and are eating, drinking and pooping just fine [​IMG]

My problem is that the welsies seem like such bullies! They want to pick on and torment everyone else especially going for eyes. What can I do to stop these bullies? [​IMG]

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I don't really have advice, but wanted to say that mine were pushier than other chicks. They outgrew it in a few weeks. They weren't going for the eyes though. Now they're right in the middle of the pecking order.

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Separate them for a couple of days if possible and give the other chicks time to get their testosterone up!
    ~Rebecca

4. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    we just got our chicks in june ........ welsummer , cuckoo maran,Gold lace wyandotte,silver lace wyandotte,golden comet ....................... the GC are the bullies in our flock .................. most the others only have about 1/3 of their tailfeathers cause the GC have picked em out !!!! .................. the GC all have full tails !!!!!!!!

5. Hooterville

That's what I was thinking--they need a time-out brooder! [​IMG]

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I'd separate them as well, then integrate very carefully. It's hard to watch them be so evil to each other.

Surprising about the GC, mine are sweeties.

7. Hooterville

I know--it is so hard to watch these bullies! [​IMG]
    And they seem to be going after the yellow chicks more so than any of the others. I wonder if its because the eyes are easier to see in all that yellow.

When I get home I'll be separating the little turds for a few days. That way the others will have a chance to bulk up!
    Thanks all!

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Interestingly, mine went after my BOs more than the others. I had a hard time liking the welsummers at first but now I love them. Hope they lay soon. I want to see their eggs!!

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I hatched out Wellies and had a few bullies. It was quite upsetting to watch these cute chicks standing on my millies to peck them on the head!! I did seperate them. I had a quite viscious roo that I finally got rid of. And then the hen that was his side kick took up where he left off, so I sent her to live with birds a month older than her.

The others seem to be doing well now. One pullet is a little mean to the millies still, but not aggressively so the way the others were.

10. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    It's not the breed that's the problem. It's probably the number of chicks. It's possible that you need a bigger space, or maybe you should just split the chicks into groups. There's always a bully alpha-male/female, or, if you like, an 'elite' group of chicks. In my group, it's the RI Reds. Act quickly, because eye-pecking COULD lead to cannibalism!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by