Are welsummers usually noisy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by secretagent, Nov 21, 2010.

1. secretagent

secretagent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    We added 2 into the fold and I asked when getting them if they are vocal and I ws told no. But they can really screech! They are far too noisy for a residential area!! Is this the norm or have we just got chatty ones?

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Mine are INCREDIBLY noisy when they lay, and they get all the others stirred up. I don't know if that's just a Welsummer thing, or a lineage thing, or just that I got some noisy individuals, but I always know when I'm going to get a dark egg.

3. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I only have one and she is very quiet, I have never heard more than a soft cluck from her. She is 36 weeks old and not laying yet so that may change....

4. ella98

ella98 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    I have 2 and they are the loudest out of my bunch always clucking and screeching especcially at bedtime!

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I breed Welsummers and I will tell you that YES they can be very noisy, but there are some that also have Wellies that are not so noisy. One of the reasons I love my Wellies soooooooooo much is because I love to hear their beautiful egg songs. Even the roosters are happy to join in and help the cause. Without fail I am alerted everyday in song that someone is going to lay. Then to get that beautiful TerraCotta egg on top of that....I've died and gone to chicken heaven. [​IMG]

It's a Welsummer thing! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  6. Imagesoart

Imagesoart Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    San Jose
    Is the Welsummer egg a different color from the Marans egg?

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Yes they are. I have a photo of them side by side, give me just a minute to upload for you. Both are beautiful eggs. They variety of speckles and smooth eggs are so lovely in a colorful egg basket. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, my wellies love to sing! This includes my rooster who sings with all the ladies. [​IMG]

Wellie eggs right, Marans center and left:
    [​IMG]

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Well there ya go.....Chooks beat me to it. Lovely LOVELY LOVELY Chooks!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Imagesoart

Imagesoart Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    San Jose
    ohhhhhhh, so nice! Thanks. For me it is all about the egg colors! I am going to have to get me some of those Welsummers!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by