Are/were you surprised??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    For years, I have dreamed of having chickens...Different breeds, ages, sizes. Fresh healthy eggs... but my dear husband, kept 'putting' me off, saying 'please wait until I can build a really secure coop/run..." So, I waited..and waited and waited...Well, this spring he finished my coop, I got my chickens.....

Well, I am so surprised at the joy these creatures have brought to our family. The eggs are delicious, the rooster crows beautifully, my 2 yr. old grandson has fallen in love with them and enjoys them as much as I do--he thinks he needs to gather eggs every 20minutes..LOL, My dh is in awe of the eggs and he gets excited when the girls jump up on his arm, look in the cricket box and fuss because there isn't anymore (he's told this story six times today-LOL), My children (and their families) are bragging about the eggs- taste, looks, size.. My favorite uncle, has something else to chat with me about--he thinks it great...just like he had years ago...

So, have you been surprised by your chickens and what they have brought to you and your family???????

Thanks Dixie

2. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Absolutely! I had no dream of having chickens I just decided late last winter that I would get some. And it has been great! I have said on here before about how I enjoy watching them roam around the yard scratching. I also enjoy their personalities. I have one girl that will follow me all over the yard and into the garage. She even will come into the house if I leave the door open. More surprising to me has been the fact that my neighbors enjoy my birds. There is a lady up the street who babysits some kids and they will often walk down to look at the chickens and I have had other neighbors who tell me how they enjoy hearing the rooster crow. The greatest of all is when I can share some extra eggs with friends, family, and neighbors!

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, definitely! I had always wanted chickens, but I had no idea that I would enjoy having them as much as I do.

I am also "chicken obsessed." Fortunately, my daughter shares my obsession, and my husband is tolerant of how every conversation we have these days somehow turns into me talking about our chickens.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    We got chickens because my DH wanted to have some bug control. I had no idea what I was in for as I had never even come within 5 feet of a chicken. What a delightful surprise! I love watching them run and scratch, we gave them all names (that was the agreement..we could get chickens if they all had names and never became dinner). oh..and the eggs! I have become very popular with our neighbors as we trade eggs for produce they grow. The only downside is now my friends and co-workers are calling me the chicken lady![​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You bet! I always tell the hubby how much happiness they bring me!!! I love my girls so much, and the 3 silkie boys I've got too! If I had a bigger place, Id' have even more!!! [​IMG]

6. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Yes- my DH thought I was crazy, but it has given me a great hobby, and something I can share with my kids and my dad. DH likes that they relax me and make me happy.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I am more surprised that I need a hundred for some reason to be really happy... [​IMG]

8. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I am a horse nut, DH enjoys his rhino 4 wheeler and airboat.

WE enjoy the chickens together and he insists on accompaning me to anything remotely chickenish.

He is working on building a breeder pen for our new roo and his young ladies.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, i was shocked that i thought that my chickens were PRETTY.

I was shocked that listening to them peep RELAXED me.

I was shocked that when they were gone, i had to get MORE.

And i'm shocked that my husband wants to expand to "at least 100!"

I enjoy them immensely and go to visit them several times a day if i can. Who knew? I never knew.

10. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Getting chickens was the best thing we ever did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by