1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are White Faced Black Spanish Bantams Rare?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by briarpatchfarms, Feb 9, 2009.

1. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I bought a pair of WFBS bantams and I wondering if they are rare I have never seen the bantams and only saw the large stock once if they are rare Im going back to get some more hens!

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I consider all white faced black spanish rare because they are rarely seen. I see the bantams on eggbid from time to time. I think Ideal might have them.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

They are fairly rare. I saw several at the Ohio National but never at the smaller shows, except for the standards that my mom owns. I do see a lot of hatcheries selling them though. The thing about them is that it takes two years to get the nice face on them though.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Both bantams and standards are rare enough that most stock is pretty inbred nowadays. I can't even think of a hatchery that offers them.

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
  6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

sandhill has them in white faced white spanish...they are actually REALLY cool-looking. I doubt their faces would fare well in our weather, though--or I'd order some in a heartbeat!

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:Murray McMurray sells them.

Yes, briarpatchfarms, WFS are rare, bantam and standard varieties.

8. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Why would their faces not do good in your weather?

I had a WHBS bantam hen, I found at a swap meet. There was a trio for $50 so I assume they are at least fairly rare.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Frostbite. We usually have a few weeks of -10 to -20 sometimes with windchill, even colder!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I see them fairly frequently--but probably only because a long term breeder in one of my poultry clubs is a breeder--they're his favourite, I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by