Are white silkies always born white? Picture

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pw_quiltworks, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    They seem to have some buff color going there. Both parents are white why are the silkies chicks not? My silkies are pets only. They are just the best chickens in my opinion. Great feed ratio. Good layers. Friendly...... I am just wondering why they are not pure white.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    they will turn white as they lose their fluff and get big feathers in -Mine are 5 weeks old and are white white white:)

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks.

4. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Aw, what sweeties!

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Most all white Silkie chicks are yellow or grey but some really darker yellow ones absorb the carotene from the yolk. When my stock are free ranging, the yolks from their eggs are a very deep orange and the white and silver chicks hatch a pale orange like they had been dyed.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    All my whites are hatched with varying shades of yellow - darkish buff....and they are very white when they feather in. This one is one of the most memorable...I couldn't figure out what color it was but it came from a "white" egg. Turned out to be the pullet in the second picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:WOW what a gorgeous chicken. [​IMG] Do you take her to compete in shows? I just love silkies.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Used to be said that most white silkie chicks were white. As more and more people are breeding colours (and often using whites in the mix, I hear more and more about yellow chicks. My whites have only had a couple of yellow chicks in 10 years of breeding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by