Are white Wyandotte banty chicks supposed to be THIS docile?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Apr 22, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My white Wyandotte banty chicks are 1 1/2 weeks old now. They came in a shipment with Buff Brahma bantys, and I was surprised at how little the Wyandottes are in comparison. They're also incredibly docile -- to the point that I'm a little worried about them! They seem to be eating and drinking just fine. I have a couple of pasty butts, but that seems to be clearing up too. The Brahmas are fiesty little ones, and I put them in the big brooder with the others (1 week older) right away. The Wyandottes seemed so dainty that I've kept them in a separate brooder, along with 2 2 1/2 week old D'uccles. They are nervous when I put my hand in the brooder tub, which I would expect, but when I pick them up and hold them they don't struggle at all -- they just sit there. Is this normal? Should I be worried? They do sleep an awful lot, but they are still pretty new. I've had some trouble getting the brooder to the right temp., but I think it's okay now. Is this breed just super laid-back? Heck, I thought silkies were supposed to be docile, but they're spitfires compared to these little ones. I had planned to put them in the big brooder in another week or so, but now I'm afraid they'll get bullied by the other chicks.

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    my 16 days old jump on to my arm when stick it in to the brooder.

3. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Well, my other chicks come running to eat out of my hand and will sit on me, but when I pick them up they generally struggle a bit. These guys don't struggle at ALL. No wing flapping, no leg kicking and then settling down; they just sit there. Everyone looks healthy enough, but it just seems kind of odd to me, that's all.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Temperaments change with age, too. Many chicks can get fearful after feathering out & don't calm down until they come to sexual maturity, when they become little love bugs again.

5. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My silver laced Wyandottes are 11 days old and they seem to be the friendliest, most curious of the group. They're the first to come, hop in my hand and roost on my arm. I hope they stay so docile and friendly, yours as well. [​IMG]

6. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    my ww banty chicks are pretty scared all the time. we have some brahmas that are the same. they struggle when you pick them up. but i see it as being healthy. my older chickens are alot calmer. they mite be a bit cold yet if they just are standing there?

7. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    My silver laced wyandotte is the most docile sweet natured chicken of them all and she is 7 months old. She falls asleep more or less as soon as I pick her up !!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by