1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are wild birds a hazard?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cresty, Feb 4, 2007.

1. cresty

cresty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Does anyone know if wild birds (ie, cardinals, sparrows, titmice, woodpeckers) pose any danger to chickens if allowed to roam around your yard? We have always fed the woodland birds and wondered if they would pose a danger considering avian flu, etc.

Thanks,
    Cresty

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    They can transmit diseases and parasites to your birds. But it is difficult to keep them apart unless you keep your poultry in a run that is completely enclosed with small wire or bird netting.

chel

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I feed my wild birds in the front yard and have the chickens in the backyard. I haven't seen anything going on between them.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I used to live in a neighborhood with a small backyard where I fed the wild birds. Then I got chickens. What I found was that the wild birds attracted smaller hawks which would then go after my chickens. Nearly lost a beautiful cochin bantam roo that way. After I removed the feeder and most of the smaller birds left for other folks feeders the hawks were no longer a problem for me. However, now that I have moved and my yard borders on woods I have small birds and big hawks anyway. [​IMG]

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    As disease vectors, probably a threat, but how to quantify it? We are overrun with every kind of woodpecker (threat only to outside walls of house). We appreciate all the Crested Jays hanging around because their squawking is often the chooks/turks initial alert that a hawk is hanging around. The Jays really give those hawks the what for (pull feathers from them!).

6. cresty

cresty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I have noticed that the bird feeder has attracted hawks to the area. When I see the hawk, I remove the bird feeder until he leaves for other spaces.

Cresty

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    lice
    red mites

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by