Are Wood duck ducklings avaliable anywhere

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mallardman, May 3, 2011.

1. Mallardman

Mallardman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I would love to have some wood ducks they are so beautiful but i think half the fun is rasing them from day old ducklings, but the only thing i can find is junival pairs dose anybody know were i can find ducklings. Also is it about the same to raise wood ducks as it is other breeds i have no experience with wood ducks and only limited with other breeds but it is like a disease i just love rasing ducks they are so cute and fun to watch so if anyone has any advice on wood ducks it would be great

2. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    To answer the title of your thread: No.

To answer your post, there is a peacock breeder on this forum (whose name I can't remember) that, as I recall, also raises wood ducks. They are NOT the easiest ducks to find.

Maybe you will notice the peacock breeder in the pea forum and you will notice his website under his avatar. (Sorry I can't remember the site name or his handle.)

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Wood ducks are actually a very common bird to raise as they are a great beginner bird. Its that time of year so most have eggs by now and soon will have ducklings. I would just keep a look out on local ads, and on here (as i know many raise them on here), might also look GBWF forum, and maybe BestFarmBuys.com. Good Luck.

BTW raising them from ducklings is not going to be like raising any domestic ducklings, they are a naturally wild bird so they will be skittish and have claws like no other and will try and escape/climb the brooder, then later in life they will either have to be in an aviary or the wings clipped in a safe enclosure.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    how does one go about obtaining the permit(s) necessary for keeping Wood Ducks? Or can that come from the seller of the ducks?

5. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    If you google hard enough, you will find farms that sell them.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    There are many hits if you google for them. You can also post in the WTB area here in on BYC. I will be getting a silver pair this fall, reseved them this spring.

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:Permits as far as just keeping them is free and is a 3-186 form, as far as breeding them $70-$75 dollar federal migratory bird waterfowl sale and disposal permit can be seen on the FWS page.

8. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I live in Illinois and the state requires a permit to own them. Along with copies of Federal papers as to where they came from, so they are not stolen from the wild here. I have domestic and ornamental ducks and they do not compare. The ornamentals usually stay pretty flighty. Its hard to find wood duck ducklings due to most breaders won't ship this late in the year. But some do post you can pick them up at poultry meets. The first thing to do is find out if you state requires a permit to own. Our state permit is 10.00 and runs from March -Feb. The Federal permit you can download online and mail in with your plans and pics and 75.00. Hope this helps;[​IMG]

9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    That helps me- thanks. I'll look on here for the link to the Fed paperwork and try to figure out if NJ state requires a permit.

10. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I found that, but not if my state (NJ) requires a permit. I go to the NJ state FWS site and have no idea where to find that info...I did print a 3-186 form and do have the phone #/email for the Migratory Bird Regional Permit Office. I may call or email that to ask questions...I 'd love to own Wood Ducks too and have only stopped myself because of the paperwork so far.
    Lisa

Last edited: May 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by