Are wood ducks laying yet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onthespot, Jan 10, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    a friend of mine is visiting in Louisiana and was asking me if I knew where to get wood duck eggs. I told him I didn't know if they were laying right now, I would ask. So, are they? any die hards have theirs under lights, if they are out of season right now?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    My wood ducks aren't laying yet...I don't think they will start laying until the end of the month or even next month....

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My wood ducks, mandarins, and ringed teals aren't laying yet...I don't think they'll start till March...

4. exoticduckluvr

exoticduckluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Vancleave
    mine don't start laying until early to mid March. I am in the deep south/Mississippi Gulf Coast

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    EDL, thanks for your answer, and of course... [​IMG] I am honored that your first post was in my thread! Welcome from Riverside, CA.

6. Hi! No eggs from my WoodDucks, but they are mating and she is going in the nestbox (possibly just to get away from her pesky mate).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Wow! Do you all sell wood duck eggs? I had no idea! I'm currently raising two wood ducks. 1lpoock, what is it like raising Mandarins compared to Woodies?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Mandarins and wood ducks are pretty much the same as far as needs go. They aare both very fun to watch and I couldn't pick a favorite! Also, I dont sell eggs because they arent very easy to hatch in an incubator.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=289340 there is a link to some pictures i just took today!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Thanks for the info... I was just curious...I see lots of websites selling juvenile pairs of ducks and other exotic birds but not eggs. I live around a 20 acre marsh behind me with wood ducks and many other water & land fowl but I've not seen any Mandarins. The pair of males I have now (avatar pic) came from eggs dropped from a nest in the cavity of my tree which sits on the edge of the marsh. I wasn't sure if they were OK or where they were in they're development. I put them in bator I had set up for guinea eggs and they hatched a week later. They're about 7 mos. old now. Checked your link, you've got some beauties!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Mandarins are not a native bird, those seen would probably be pen raised birds that escaped.

giffy
    -----------------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by