1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are wooden feeders bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Jun 12, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to make one from scraps I have on hand but someone said that they were a bad idea because they hold moisture and the wood rots. Would PVC be better? Wouldn't that hold moisture even worse than wood? I just want something so that I can refill it every few days instead of daily, and so I can refill from the top rather than having to turn it upside down and dump all the food in the bowl part.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

As long as the feed can't get wet, wood is fine. I've seen hundreds of pictures of wooden feeders and also, growing up here on the farm, most all ours were made of scrap wood.
    It will rot someday.... but I've got one my grandfather built back in the 40's that's still in use. We keep all our feeders in the coop in the dry though.

I made wooden wall hanging feeders for grit and oyster shell. Pictures are on "my page", links in my sig.

3. gale65

thanks-it will be in the coop for sure. I plan to only give fresh veggies and fruits outside and the regular feed in the coop. I'd be sure to keep it away from any windows too.

4. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I would think PVC would shed moisture, rather than retain it. Wood has a tendency to absorb moisture, which could be a problem. Personally, I use a 12# galvanized hanging feeder. About $14 at Atwoods.

5. gale65

Does the 12# mean it holds 12 lbs? I have a small pig feeder that I originally bought for our rabbits but never used it. Maybe I'll try it.

6. Patience

Patience Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    I was wondering this exact same thing, thanks for the thread gale65!

I know that wood has natural anti-microbial agents and that plastic can actually encourage bacterial growth but I wasn't sure about feed.

7. No wooden feeders are not BAD. You can make use of many materials for feeder wood, metal, plastic, clay, ect. Wood has some advantages as do some of the others. However, do not put an OSB or fiber board wood feeder that will get rained on. Not a good idea.

8. gale65

I like the bucket ones, but our coop is small (4 x 6) and I wanted wood so that I can make it tall with a small footprint so it can be up against one wall without taking up a lot of room.

9. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I built a gravity feeder out of wood that holds about 1/3 of a 50# bag of feed. I have pics of it, but I need to get my computer savy kids to help me get it downloaded on here. It's about 18" wide, about 6" deep, and about 24" tall. I put a piece of plexi-glass in the front of it, so you can see the feed level in it. At the bottom, I angled a piece of wood to direct the feed into the trough at the bottom. There is about a 1" gap that the feed actually goes through. It works perfectly.
    I have it mounted on the wall in the run, (not in coop) tucked away in the corner that stays dry no matter how bad it rains. I haven't thought of a winter feeder for inside the coop yet. I think I have a little time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by