Are Wyandottes good chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jdc361, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    I'm new to chickens and I have heard that tractor supply carries Wyandottes. I was just wondering how friendly they were? Are they good with kids? Do they do well with other birds? Egg production? Cold hardy?

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I have heard they are aggresssive with others,but overall,I'd say great with kids.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had a number of Wyandottes over the past 50 years, and they have generally been quite docile and friendly. They weren't quite the lap pets with my children that a few of the other breeds were, and on rare occasions, I've had an aggressive one that I had to cull from the flock, but that was definitely the exception and not the rule. Wyandottes are very cold hardy, their rose combs are virtually immune to frost bite, are good layers of large, brown eggs, and I would definitely recommend them as a good breed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

In my experience, the Wyandotte is a great breed that I would strongly recommend. Mine have been quite friendly; in fact, they are the most docile, inquisitive, personable, and gentle of all my birds. They have the biggest personalities with the most humanlike behavior. I've found them to be good with kids, not only because of their temperaments, but also because kids love the fluffy appearance of them. My Wyandottes have done fine in a mixed flock, with no injuries or aggression problems. They are dominant, but are not mean or particularly standoffish. In terms of egg production, I've been impressed with my Wyandottes. They've laid 250+ eggs, each, per year. Egg production is slowing down because they are now over four years old, but they're still laying well. My Wyandottes have also been quite hardy. They've survived temperatures down to nearly -20 and up to 104.

Overall, I would recommend the Wyandotte. I know that some people have had bad experiences with the breed (mean, standoffish, etc), but that hasn't been my experience.

5. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank y'all!:lol:

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. 6275Smith

6275Smith Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! As above, yes, Wyandottes are a good choice.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might like to check out all the reviews of the Wyandottes in the breed section, I've also really liked the ones I've had, love the range of colors and they are friendly and good hardy winter layers. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/wyandotte

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've known wyandotte to be a bit aggressive. But they are excellent layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by