Are Wyandottes slow to mature?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cthrash1, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Mine has to be 6-7 months old and still no eggs. Is it because she matured too late in the season?

2. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Thats not uncommon, they are very slow to mature if you are talking about a standard wyandotte. I dont think I have had very many that layed until they were 8-9 months old, plus the weather has been very hot and dry in our area (Kentucky). She will lay when she is ready..

3. Faye

Faye Out Of The Brooder

The feed store has the cutest baby W's right now.... I was wonderin' .... but I really want a nice breed that will tolerate the heat here. [​IMG] He told me they were not nice with kids... Is that true??

4. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I've had two (I only have one now...she's a pullet)...Mine is a BLRW. She is beautiful....but she's kind of flighty and more withdrawn than my other birds...I wouldn't say she is "bad" with my toddler...she just avoids him. LOL She's certainly not mean or "wild".

I have two other friends with birds from the same stock who feel their birds have similar personalities...I suppose it could be the stock...

They are pretty though. I plan to get more some day.

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are still young, but very sweet.
    They get along with all the other birds and don't mind being handled by us.
    I have never had them before so I don't know if its the stock or the breed in general.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Oh my...I have BLRW's and they are, hands down, my cuddliest chickens. My kids carry them all over the place. They are about 4 months old now and as big as some of my adult chickens. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd have to vote for my BLRWs and Blue Wyandottes being some of my friendliest chickens. I have 3 SLWs which aren't quite as tame, but they aren't flighty or wild.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My SLW started laying around 20 weeks, an egg almost every day. Waiting to see what my 15wk GLW does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by