Are you a bantam person or a standard person and why?

egglicious

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
I'm looking to add to my flock. I really want lots of eggs but I gotta tell you that bantams really are easier to care for in terms of poop, space, amount of feed. Of course I don't care for broodiness, though... ugh, can't decide!! What do you think?

I'm a standard/LF person. Most bantams are too bug-eyed for me, plus most of them look too much alike with their dropped wing carriage, high set rumps, short backs, etc. Plus I like my birds normal size to huge in size.
smile.png

I don't think they're any easier or more difficult to clean and take care of though, honestly. If anything I'd consider Bantams more difficult because things like fencing, etc need to be smaller.

Broodiness is the same in bantams that is is in LF birds, the only reason people think bantams are more broody is because hatcheries breed broodiness out of LF birds far more strictly than bantams due to popular demand for the birds.

Hi! I like both --- all sizes from my tiny Modern Game Bantams, Japanese, and Serama to Jersey Giants and everything in between. I've thought how deprived I'd feel if I had to decide between bantams and large fowl.
Good luck with your decision!
smile.png

Lisa

I thought I was a LF person, eschewing "midget chickens." I wanted some Cochins, saw an ad on Craigslist, went to the farm and fell in love with the bantam Cochins. Somehow I had missed the word "bantam" in the ad. I bought two very young "pullets" - a lavender and a black - turned out the black was a little roo.

Then I thought the Silver Sebrights were adorable, and bought 2 straight run chicks at my favorite feed store- both cockerels. Tried again, with a Silver and a Golden, got pullets. Whew!

Once the barrier was broken, I didn't mind adding bantam breeds to my flock. I hatched some, from eBay eggs, and some crossbreeds hatched under some of my broody hens.

The only bantam breeds I deliberately buy in hatching eggs now are Cochins, Faverolles, Orpingtons, and I couldn't resist a couple of Mille Fleur D'Uccles.

I still kinda prefer the big, fluffy-butt breeds, though.

The size difference, with regard to lodging, feeding and cleanup, has no bearing on my decisions. Bantam fluffies are just so stinkin' cute!

Last edited:
i like my bantams they are so cute and easy for my 3 and 4 year olds to help take care of and hold on to rather than the larger breeds. i'm a d'uccle person and i am looking for more, also want to add some silkies and frizzles(not a breed i know)

Thanks for the replies, though i'm not sure if they are making my decision any easier! I wonder if there are folks who have bantams for eggs??

I have both~ I also loove both!
lol.png

Bantams, are more petite and need a little more TLC. One of my bantam hens is soo sweet because I raised her as a day old chick. The other hen I have is mean because I got her when she was few weeks old so she doesnt like me very much. They have HUGE personalitys (as all chickens do) they are little more feisty!
lol.png

Standards, I like because they are little more layed back and lay bigger eggs.
lol.png

They each have pros and cons I think!
smile.png

Hope this helps!
smile.png

We have standard sized. The reason? That's what the feed store had and I didn't know any different. I've learned so much about them from BYC, and I will probably stick with them.

Loved the comment about the big fluffy butts! That a perfect description of our girls.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom