1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are you a Boxer lover????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    It has been very cold the past few nights and even though we built them a huge dog house,they have been coming in to sleep at night.
    These last few nights have been the worst nights trying to get some sleep - my huge male boxer spent the night snoring LOUD which would not have been that bad if that was the only sound we heard -we started to hear pssst...pssst.. than the smell came not only was he snoring but he was very full of gas !!
    to make matters worse the female Daisy was on the bed near me and DH's faces - (tried getting her to move but it was like trying to move a building with my bare hands not going to work) anyway when she passed gas thank god there was no smell - but holy crap it was LOUD scared the heck out of us !
    If I had known boxers were so gross- with the gas,snoring,drooling I might not have gotten 3 of them with another one joining the family in a few weeks LOL
    Just wondering if other boxer owners have these problems with thier dogs??

thank god chickens are not as gross LOL

Julie

2. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    Hi Julie!

I have 2 boxers and fostered around 15of them(not all at once) when I volunteered as a foster home for rescue. Yes, Boxers do have the worst gas!! Mine are totally indoors except to go out and play and potty. They do not sleep in my bed, although they have in the past. We had to get them on their own beds due to the snoring,gas and tendency to take up the entire bed. We live in the the Midwest were the summers are hot and the winters are cold so keeping them outdoors is not really an option. Due to their short noses and lack of thick coat they can't heat or cool themselves very efficiently. I have a feeling they would bark thier heads off anyway.

I have tried every different kind of food to try to get the gas issue under control. I have found the higher quality the food the less gas. We use Natural Balance, I get it at Petco. They also poop a lot less with high quality food. I really think it has to do with the dog though. Our white and deaf female passes gas almost constantly but does not drool or snore. When we have guests over it is embarrassing, she can clear a room! Our male hardly ever passes gas but drools like a champ. They eat the same food and are obviously kept in the same environment.

Our female was adopted from the shelter, she is the most neurotic dog I have seen in awhile, we soon found out why she was at the shelter [​IMG] With that said we love her and she is slowly over coming some of her fears. Being deaf does not help matters. Our male is 5 yrs old now and it the best dog we have ever had. Even with the gas,drool,snoring and general craziness, I would never choose another breed of dog. Boxers just have something about them, I love their zest for life and general happy go lucky attitude. I also like that they look a little mean, everyone else doesn't have to know that the worst thing that would happen is you would get licked to death [​IMG]

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I had a beautiful boxer male for 14 yrs. I absolutely adore them! With all breeds you have to take the bitter with the sweet.. My boxer was a stray and I had no previous expeirence with them. My boxer never passed gas but drooled only badly when food was in sight. I couldn't recomend a more loving and fun breed. My boxer was the greatest people loving dog ever. He made a good watch dog as he would watch a burglar take everything and beg to go with them lol! He was a powerful dog, very muscular and atheltic. Boxers weren't met to be outside. They don't tolerate heat and cold well. Nothing really upsets them and they love chicldren almost to a fault. They are lovable and goofy clowns. I don't know about other boxers but mine was very quiet, he never barked when someone came to the door or nothing. In fact he had a very high pitch bark, which was funny coming from this big macho guy, but his growl was very deep indeed. In fact I only heard him growl at 2 people in his whole life. I miss my Rocky and he lived a good long life before sucumbing to heart failure.

4. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    we have the three boxers Wally who is almost 2 ( next month is his b-day) he is very laid back not to much fuss but he can really kick up his feet and play he is a great watch dog will give a real mean bark that would give you a scare. Daisy is a pretty bossy girl she is the top dog around here and is kinda agressive with other females,but she is very loving towards people will play ball until your arm falls off. Than there is Abbey girl who is a total nut job she is just a little over a year and wild crazy spaz loves to play with your hand sometimes bites to hard.
    And our newest boxer was born yesterday I have not seen her yet but she is pure white - born on thanksgiving right after the first snow of the year so I am trying to think of names for her I think I will go see her this weekend.
    She is the little sister to my brindle Abbey so I was thinking of calling her Alley but since she was born on thanksgiving and the snow and all DH thinks she should have a name that goes along with snow or thanksgiving - the person I am getting her from said I should name her Butterball - I dont think so. I will think of something once she is here and I can start spoiling her.

Julie

5. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    I just wanted to suggest that you get the white puppy hearing tested. About 17 percent of white/cheque boxers are deaf. Usually when the puppy is older you can do your own test, clapping, ring the doorbell, etc... Chances are she can hear fine though.

6. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi everyone! We love our boxer, Rommelson (Rommy). I had to laugh about the gas, drooling, etc. Our other dog is a mastiff, and nothing can compare to their drool and gas! So to us, Rommy is our clean, little dog. He is the most loyal, fun loving goof! We were going to get a mixed breed soon, but always seem to be looking at boxer pups. They are addictive.

7. jacque

jacque Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    Duncan, B.C. Canada
    I had the pleasure of looking after a boxer for about a month....very loveable dogs, I must say, but I found that the gas from my dogs, shepherd, collie, whippet X, drove me out of the room a little quicker. It also didn't make a difference with type of food either....

So, not sure of the answer to that one, but, I sure couldn't live without them....

8. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    this little girl will be our second white boxer, we lost our first Sierra to health probelms when she was 6 months and ever since than I have really wanted to get another white one. I talked to my friend who is giving my this little girl and he said the mother had three pups thanksgiving morning a male that is brindle, a male that is mostly white with some brindle spots and this little all white girl.
    My own brindle is due to have her first litter of pups next month if the breeding took ,still not showing any major signs so I dont think she is having any but will keep an eye on her till I know for sure.

I do have a mixed breed dog beagle/basset but I really love the boxers so full of energy ( except right now they are all sleeping on the couch and the male is snoring LOL ) but I dont think I could have a home without a boxer in it.

Julie

9. Hello,
    Just wanted to share my boxer stories.
    I have been a boxer owner most of my life, i love them so much for their intelligence, and protectiveness, and of course for their love and companionship.

I have found over the years with all the different boxers and other dogs I have owned, that they do indeed have the most problems with gas, snoring, and drooling.

Though over the past few years, I would say 15 I would have to say that I have noticed traits in them that seem to trigger these types of problems.
    I found that changing the height of the feeding bowl, reducing the amount of Lamb and human foods, absolutely NO DAIRY!, and integrating a food bowl that requires them to eat more slowly, Like the one from "Shure Pets" has greatly reduced the gas situation, also the low stool producing high quality dog foods do make huge difference. Stay away from the grains....dogs don't eat alot of corn in nature, or wheat. They tend to be carnivors!
    I often find the drooling comes from them being anxious, worried, or HUNGRY! Also if they have an upset stomach I have noticed that they begin drool and to lick, paws, body parts.. bedding, seems to be a lot like when a human baby is teething. They sure drool alot, too. It may be a mechanism to to help in the pain management. Often as they get older they tend to have sensitive teeth, and that can cause excessive drooling. This is usually a good sign to have a dental check up with the Vet. As for the snoring..well, some things are worth living with!! They are so warm and cuddly, I can forgive the snoring most of the time...though if it gets bad.. a simple nudge can usually get them to change, and calm down. Enough at least for me to get back to sleep!

I have loved each and everyone of the boxers I have owned, so far it has been 23 in total.. not counting others I have fostered and cared for. They are an amazing Breed, and always bring a Smile to my Face!!
    Enjoy the love, as long as it lasts!!!

10. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I went to see our newest baby yesterday - she is so cute, tis perfect little white bundle of fur. she has the sweetest little face I really cant wait to see her little eyes open.
    Still have not thought of a name that goes with the snow or thanksgiving - something will hit me if not I will post a pic when we get her here and see if anyone on BYC can think of a name.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by