Are you a senior and do you live with your kids or do they live with you?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rancher hicks, Aug 2, 2014.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We are considering having my DD and hers move in with us. My SIL does construction and we need some help with the house. They have two small children. We have a big enough house, but will need at room finished off. They did live with us, before and after the first one was born.

I remember my grandmother lived with my aunt and uncle. My mother lived with my sister, but at that time she was sick and lived there til she passed.

So I kinda wondered how many adult kids are living with their parents or vice versa and how you deal with things.

Any thoughts or comments? Yes I can deal with anything negative so if you feel up to playing the devils advocate knock yourself out.

I may not comment on advice given so don't think I haven't read your comments.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I cant really say but over here in NZ a lot of people live with their parents till their 30's or above, some never move out and many move back with their kids when things go bad. I also know that when parents get older or grandchildren are born the grandparent will move in/ closer to be around and help. It seems to work for a lot of people as long as everyone gets on and what not.

If you have them living with you then I would think that some basic rules are in order, rent, chores, not dumping the kids on you to go out every weekend etc .

I guess you could see it as a blessing or a curse, depending but on one hand you will see much more of your grand kids

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We love our grandkids. My wife once drove over to their house just to kiss my granddaughter good night.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My situation is different: Have grand kids but not their parents. We get by. Energy level is the biggest issue. If a home is big enough, and there are clear cut boundaries, I can see how it could be a blessing for all involved. With a crowded situation, and money mismanagement, Adult children taking advantage of the situation, it could be a total nightmare.

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They lived with us before and we survived. As long as he's working things are okay. He is a hard worker but in construction. It's not so much a financial thing for us really.

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Off and on I've had all three of my daughters and their families live with me. Then I got an apt and sold the family home. My health was not great and we made the decision that this time I would live with my middle DD Aimee and her hubby and son. We are a fit. Yes, everybody has arguments but I never think to myself "This was a mistake". I'm a private person and I spend a lot of time in my room. TV, books and BYC. I pay for my room and board, help out with cooking occasionally and put dishes in the dishwasher. It's a happy life. I'm not alone and have help if I need it. Haven't much but will later. You already know what it's like living with them. I say Go for it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by