Are you afraid to eat cracked eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Sep 2, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I'm new too raising chickens, I bought my first flock in January mostly for the eggs. I now have a couple of pullets for some reason give me cracked eggs, I don't know how they get cracked, maybe not enough oyster shell or something lacking in their diet but that doesn't really concern me, it's just a cracked egg to me. When I was growing up my mother used to buy cracked eggs from our local thrift bakery shop so I grew up on cracked eggs. My wife on the other hand won't eat a cracked egg because she has heard that when an egg is cracked bacteria can get inside and make you very sick. I'm not talking cracked where egg white or yolk pouring out but just slightly cracked egg. Do you think we should be concerned? [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Your wife is correct on the bacteria part of it. However, if you collect your egg and cook it in the same day/next day, I can't see the harm. Don't give it enough time for the bacteria to fester. The bloom acts as a barrier to bacteria, when the egg is cracked, so is the barrier. Worse comes to worse, you scramble it back up and feed it back to your chickens. They love it!

3. ybmagpye

ybmagpye In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    All I can say is if the inner membrane is intact, then the egg is probably just fine. If the membrane is split though, some bacteria can get in and I myself, would toss out such an egg, even though I'm told the white of the egg is pretty good at destroying bacteria - sort of snots the bacteria out of existance. Really!

4. ray2310

ray2310 Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    We eat cracked eggs with no problems. If they are cracked really bad then we fry them for the chickens.

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    It depends on how bad the crack is. If it is just like a hairline crack or sometimes even a star shaped crack that doesn't go all the way through we will eat them. If it is all the way through then I give it to the dogs.

6. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Thanks for the responses all! [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    as stated earlier, if the membrane is intact, you should be fine.

8. Once in a while we get one that was stepped on and cracked, we just set it aside and use in when we bake. Figure it gets hot enough in the oven to kill and bacteria.

9. BountifulHealth

BountifulHealth Hatching

Jun 11, 2016
    Wow i feel so much better after reading this!! Thanks all! I found an egg that was stuck on the egg carton from Trader Joe's free range eggs. I was going to set it aside and wasn't going to eat it! BUT i accidentally cracked it and put in the pan?!! I muscle test also so I tested it and it tested good?!! Extra precaution i put some drops of my nano structured silver in it?!!! I will post later what happens?!!!

http://wp.me/p4vJv4-4j

https://bountifulhealth4you.wordpress.com

10. BountifulHealth

BountifulHealth Hatching

Jun 11, 2016
    WE ARE STILL ALIVE!!! Didn't have any symptoms! YEAY!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: