Are you as confused as I am regarding which Breed to get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Two Chicksahs, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Two Chicksahs

Two Chicksahs Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to admit that the more I read and see the more confused I was getting as to which breed I/we should get. Part of the decision making is availability and the other for us is which is the best match for us. We prefer a hen that is more docile, that being said, it will also need to be a dual purpose bird. It rains a heck of a lot here and it tends to get muddy, hence white birds or chickens with leg feathers wouldn't be such a good idea no matter how beautiful they are, at least that's our opinion. Heritage birds are a nice way to go. You see how confusing it can get? We thought we should get a smaller bird because of the space constraints but now that we are building our own... I found this link on the Livestock Conservancy website and although it is likely to have been given before I thought I would list it for others who have not yet made the decision on which breed to get. I hope it is helpful to others.

Ellen S.

http://albc-usa.etapwss.com/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Honestly, for a first time chicken owner pretty much any of the dual purpose breeds are going to be interchangeable. Just start with what's available locally and get a variety of breeds. Raise those up and enjoy your mixed flock. When it's time to replace birds in a few years you'll have a better idea what breeds do well for you. And remember, flocks can be fluid! I've had birds well over 20 years and add new breeds each year.

4. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    The ALBC is a great organization and heritage chickens can be found by all with a little leg work.

5. Two Chicksahs

Thanks Ifish! I do to when I get a chance! For some reason many guys don't like fishing with women... Anyhow I'll look into the organization you mentioned. Thanks again for your reply!
    Ellen

6. Two Chicksahs

donrae: So sorry to hear about your friend or family member relapsing with leukemia! Thanks so much for your kind words. I met someone nearby who raises Stars so perhaps he'll sell me some. He seemed like he was willing the other day... Today is the first clear day where it was warm enough and long enough to get stuff done. We both have immune deficiencies so we try to be very careful about getting sick. Today we got the garage cleaned up well enough after our move to make a space to put together/assemble parts for our coop. Hopefully tomorrow I can slap some paint on them. Anyhow thanks again for the advice!

Ellen

7. Two Chicksahs

Micheal O'shea: I checked out McMurray but they want a lot for shipping in smaller batches which makes it a bit cost prohibitive for us. I'll have to check out the "show more info. button. I'm not sure whether or not I've used it. I'm a bit of a space cadet and get what's called "brain fog" which is a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis term, or a great excuse for being scatter brained and easily distracted, you choose. I've been looking at quite a bit of info. but there is so much out there to process; so many beautiful chickens to choose from too. Anywho thanks again!
    Ellen S.

8. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Have you done any research on Buff Orpingtons? They're a dual purpose, heritage breed, that are fairly cold hardy as long as they have a draft free enclosure. They're *ESPECIALLY* known for their docile, child friendly personalities...They're really nice birds for first-timers AND for people who are just looking for a friendly, sweet, affectionate breed. As for size, they're not on the small size, and are in fact, probably considered a large breed....But not as large as some other breeds. Buff Orp hens weigh about 6-8 lbs and roosters weigh around 8-10. I also just got Barred Rocks. These chickens ARE docile, however, they can be bullies to other docile breeds such as the buff orpington. All I can say is don't get a chicken breed that is new, unless there is TONS of info on them....I made that mistake with Dixie Rainbows. I supposedly had hens, however on the sixth day of owning them, my 8 day old "hen," she was showing aggressive behavior to me, mostly seen in cockerels. Even if I peeked my head over the brooder, while all the other chicks ran away, she (or he!!!) would run over to where I was and jump up and "chick attack" my face for no reason!!! [​IMG]It didn't REALLY hurt but it WASN'T like it felt good!!! TSC was nice enough to let us return them for a FULL refund...Which was REALLY nice of them. Basically, pick a breed that has "been around the neighborhood" a couple of times so that you hear the good AND the bad (and everything in between!!!). Good luck!!! [​IMG] Here's a link to a chicken breed selector... http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your welcome. Whether or not you get your chicks from Murray McMurray, their "chick selector" is still a useful tool for getting a handle on which breeds will work for you.

10. Two Chicksahs

Thanks Amelia123! We've gone over numerous choice tools but it all comes down to what can we get here alive, well and a pullet not a cockerel! it comes down to affordability and accessibility, both.
    Many years ago I worked on a "farm" of sorts and they had me work for a bit in the hen house. I don't recall what breed they were since it was 30 someodd years ago in a foreign country, and to make a short story even shorter the Rooster kept coming at me aggressively and I told them they needed to get me another job before I gave that Roo a good kick in self-defense. I really didn't want to hurt him and I was in "his" henhouse so I was the one that had to go. My choice! I think of that experience quite a bit lately in our search for our gals. Perhaps Roosters are like horses for me, I admire them from afar. Thanks again for the support and help!

Ellen S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by