1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are you attached to your cell phone?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by little_grey_bantam, Aug 15, 2011.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    I'm a bit appalled how attached we are to our cell phones and recently how attached I am to mine.
    Nowadays, it seems your phone must be attached to your head. It saddens me to see children with ipods, ipads and cell phones texting, typing, blah blah blah.
    So I've begun to just disconnect every once in awhile.
    From time to time, I like to just turn off my phone and go on an adventure (of course, telling a few people my whereabouts lol so I don't appear on that darn show "I should't have survived")

I got my phone, because I like to disappear once in a blue, caring for my animals and learning new things and doing things I need to get done.
    The phone was for family and friends so they could at least get me when needed on certain basis.
    However, recently I've gotten nothing but voice messages full of angry messages of them needing me to do this or do that for them, or how I need to run errands.
    I believe family and friends are beginning to take advantage of my "leash"

A bit appalled and more upset and sort of in a lovingly, joking of the aggressive voice messages, "I grew balls" way and my new voice message is:
    "Hi, I'm not attached to my phone, so if you can't leave a nice message, you can go screw yourself. If you can, please leave a message and I will be sure to reach you later! Thanks a lot!"

Maybe a bit aggressive on my part, but since people aren't listening to me in any other way...
    Made me chuckle a bit, but maybe people will begin to understand that it is not very nice to leave mean voice messages, especially after I have explained to them I am busy and I do have a life.

[​IMG] Thank god chickens love you no matter what you do [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Used to be a realtor so had a cell and a pager. Years ago, I dumped the cell(and pager, of course) and have not missed that thing at all. We have only our home phone and folks have to leave a message just like in the "olden days". Suits me just fine. I'm sick of seeing folks with their arm ending in a little flat black box. It is rather pathetic, isn't it? Sort of a new addiction for our times.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh yes. See the Princess made me get one-- I have to be able to call her if I have a major heart attack while out in the fields chasing my hounds. [​IMG] I am NOT ALLOWED to go anywhere without it. [​IMG] Yes dear, you're right dear, I'm sorry dear --- the mechanism to a long term relationship. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nope. It's usually on the charger and usually on silent. I only have it with me when I travel to town or some such thing.

Cell service around here goes down pretty regularly. It went down for a whole day once and the teenagers in town were losing their minds. [​IMG]

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They make me carry one for work....but they can't make me answer it! [​IMG] Hate cell phones, though they come in handy at times...just not enough to justify their presence, IMO.

Love my landline that doesn't have to be recharged every two seconds, doesn't run out of "minutes", has call waiting, voice mail and an answering machine...all the essentials. Even has a place where you can turn off the ringer!!! [​IMG]

6. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I got AAA & a cell phone when I drove a 12 year old car on its last legs....... Then I kept the cell phone due to moving out in the country and driving one hour one way to work... got rid of long distance on land line, have land line for emergencies..... don't trust just my cell for that.... I use my cell when I need to, mainly to keep in touch with 2 sons in colleges, different states, and my family. Miss the old days with just one phone, regular tv etc. We have to have satelite out here, cable is not even available. High speed internet from At&t just arrived about 10 months ago....

7. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I use mine in case of emergency. In three years, I used 7 minutes and that was a dead battery in the vehicle. I can totally relate to the message. I used to get nasty messages asking why I even had a cell if I wasn't going to answer it.

My cell voice mail is turned off. I used to have a funny message on my answering machine at home but I stopped listening to the messages years ago. I turned it off when it got full and shoved it in a drawer somewhere.

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    We did away with our land line once we got satellite internet.

I do have a cell phone, but~~~it's for MY convenience. I answer it when "I" want to. People who know me, know they'll probably have to leave a message and they're okay with that (because I've warned them). I go ddaaayyyyssss without ever even checking the dern thing.

JMO---our society is too reliant upon technology

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I have one... Could not tell you where it is though [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Anytime I have a long road trip I get a prepaid one. We use any leftover minutes and then donate it to the recyclers, after clearing the card.

It was a wonderful day when I got rid of the original one. I paid for it, yet my boss acted like he was. The land line has an answering machine- I make it a point to check it at least every 2 weeks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by