1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are you better to add younger or older hens to the flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My ratio is still wrong lol i have 4 and there 50/50 however my one drake is 'disabled' he's almost fully blind in one and has a limp.. he was a victim of a coon attack as a younger one... At this point i am not seeing any issues but i am not daft i know in time there could be since i am lacking in hens.. my ducks are all 12wks now.

I am having real difficulity in getting more hens, i found one person but her hens are older than ours.. and she is really far(hours) and wants a fairly high figure for them.. i could get ducklings for less money and less distance of coarse that brings the old gender problem into play plus um, i have no idea if it's safe to put younger ducks in with older ones that are an established flock..

I'm seriously going crazy here lol [​IMG] I was going to just get rid of the big healthy drake but he's my son's so yeah that concept fell sorta flat [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You can order sexed ducklings from Metzer, McMurray, or Ideal and be fairly sure of getting all girls (though they will sometimes include "packing peanut" boys for extra warmth or whatever). You won't be able to add ducklings directly to your flock, but by the time they are six or eight weeks you can start integrating them and it should be fine. Just keep an eye on them for a while.

Good luck. Sorry for your troubles!

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thanks. I don't think any of those will ship to Canada though? [​IMG] i have to laugh at the 'packing peanut' for the longest time i couldn't figure out what everyone was speaking of [​IMG] so you keep the 'kids' separate till 6-8wks ok... makes sense... i had no clue this could be so complicated but the majority in my area keep pekin.. i just had to be the oddball [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, sorry, I didn't think about you being in Canada. But maybe there are similar companies that will ship there? Yeah, I was the same way about "packing peanuts," I thought everyone meant it literally and it didn't make sense! lol Now it makes SO much sense. [​IMG]

5. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    add older hens.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:I don't think there are, well i haven't found any that deal in muscovy, i spoke with my hay guy tonight(getting horse food lol) and he made an auction suggestion.. i still giggle about the packing peanut, i to thought those dumb styrofoam things [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Reason being? how old is older LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by