Are you chickens pets? Tell me why or why not!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by americana-lover, Dec 22, 2012.

1. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I decided to get 5 Americanas as pets, and the eggs were just an added bonus. Are your chickens pets, or not? Tell me! :D

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Mine are pets. I am an animal lover. The chickens have such wonderful personalities, they keep me busy, and they brought me out of a time that I was battling depression. To me they are priceless.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Some of my chickens are pets, some aren't. Most of my chickens have hatched in my incubator. Once they earn a name, they are pets. The rest usually go at the nearest chicken swap. I still buy chicken at the grocery store to eat - I'm such a wimp!

1 person likes this.
  4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I'm almost the opposite -- I started raising chickens for eggs and meat, and their antics are the bonus. ;)

5. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    thats so sweet!

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I love all my poultry, but my chickens are not pet's. They are breeders/layers/food. And they are given an excellent life. Most all my bird's free range.

I have Emu's, pot belly pig named Jenny, my breeder turkey's to name a few they are pet's. Some of them do bonus work but they have names and are never on the food list.

We also have 8 dogs, numerous cats, turtles, guinea pigs and finches, goats and cattle.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Pets who make me smile all the time from their antics, although I originally got them for free fertilizer and bug reduction. Eggs are a bonus. Their personalities surprised me, and after 3 years, I now have a flock of about 50 chickens, 3 turkeys. 26 ducks, and two geese. All named. They will live as long as nature and my ability to care for them in their elder years provides them.

Silly things. :)

8. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Most of our chickens have become pets. I have four kids ages 7 under and my oldest two boys have tamed a few of the chickens. My oldest has a hen that follows him everywhere outside and will not leave his side!

9. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I started out with chickens for eggs from a known & humane source - Me. But from the 1st second that my husband and I opened the shipping box and cuddled those little fuzzy butts in our hands - lets just say they all got names and our total attention. Four years later, we have 19 chickens with names and consider all of them as pets. Though to be honest, some are friendlier and are our favorites and a few that have passed on have definitely caused a few tears to flow.

10. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Ours are strictly for pets! We don't really care about the eggs, though they are good. [​IMG] We bought chickens to add something new to our life. It was a wonderful decision!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by