Are you familiar with any of these breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by prose15, Feb 10, 2014.

1. prose15

prose15 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have ordered the following breeds from Meyer Hatchery: White Rock, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Cochin, Salmon Faverolle, New Hampshire Red, Light Brahma, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Delaware, Buff Chantecler, Black Jersey Giant, Black Australorp, Golden Buff, and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster. Does anyone have any experience with these breeds? Also, will they ship well in the beginning of June, I live in TN. Pictures welcome! :D

Thanks, prose15

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my light Brahmas, They are very laid back , gentle giants. Because of their size they do eat more but their feathered feet are so cute & silly. Some lay daily while others are every 3rd day so very hit & miss. I have EE's as well but they are from Cackle and so could vary quite a bit from meyers. They are the shyest of the birds I have and are decent fliers. They lay pretty green eggs about 4 times a week.

3. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've had all but the Cochins and the hybrid buffs, but mostly from other hatcheries. It's great to start with a variety, and your favorites will emerg over time. Usually New Hampshires are tough, and Salmon Favorelles very very gentle. They can struggle in a mixed flock. My Speckled Sussex were the most engaging, friendly hens ever. Enjoy! Mary

5. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee

6. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    mountain view
    I have Salmon Favorelles, Black Australorp and Black Jersey Giant. Here is a picture of my show quality Jersey Giant rooster from Mariah Hall lines There is a world of difference between hatchery lines and private breeders lines.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I have Speckled Sussex and love them! Smart and friendly. They are good girls!! Where in TN are you??

8. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    Northwest of Nashville

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Out of your list, I have EE. I love them. As PP said, they are shy, reserved. Mine from M Mc started laying at 16.5 weeks, and one gave me an egg every other day all winter long, in below 0 temps without light. Every one else took a winter holiday! First birds? Enjoy.

10. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thanks :) I have 2 barred rocks, 2 RIR, and one mystery. All bought on Memorial Day 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by