Are you hatching mail order or your own eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I see lots of people hatching eggs they buy someone else, I was wondering how many hatch their own chickens eggs. I'm hatching my own because I have a RIR rooster and BR and NHR hens and want to see what kind of offspring they produce, especially the BR/RIR cross. I figure the two combined would make an interesting looking and very hardy breed.
    Has anyone tried these crosses and if so can you show me a picture? I'd love to see what they might look like! [​IMG]

2. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:I believe the RIR roo over BR hen is what produces the Black Sex-Link chicken.......a very nice production layer!

And to answer your question, I am hatching my own eggs as I type! [​IMG]
    I have an EE roo over several different breeds of hens. I like my muts - they are colorful, cute and lay pretty colored eggs.

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Right now I've got our own eggs in the bator and some bought eggs on the way. We hatch year round, our incubator has only been shut off for 1 day since August.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I'm hatching both! I need new silkies in my group so I ordered some. I'm hatching my own silkies to sell as chicks. I ordered some sizzles because I only have 1 right now and need more. I'm hatching my own FBCM to add to my flock. Might hatch some EE's.....egg customers like pretty colored eggs [​IMG]

The only mix I do is the EE's. Arcauna hens and my Marans roo. Should produce olive eggers. Although lately I had a polish roo get into the silkies and out hatched a fluff headed pink toed furball!

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Yup, what he said! [​IMG] (my hubby [​IMG])

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I believe the RIR roo over BR hen is what produces the Black Sex-Link chicken.......a very nice production layer!

And to answer your question, I am hatching my own eggs as I type! [​IMG]
    I have an EE roo over several different breeds of hens. I like my muts - they are colorful, cute and lay pretty colored eggs.

Great!! I can't wait to see my new chicks, this is my first hatch, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for colorful results! [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I hatch my own eggs, but I did trade with other silkie breeders last year, and purchased some silkie hatching eggs. This year, I might just hatch my own eggs.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    both:)

I just got done hatching out some of my
    OE's-BLRW's and split lav silkies
    I'm waiting for my SLB to lay

Im hoping to pick up white ameracaunas-lav ameracaunas-Wheaten Ameracaunas mmm there was something else too [​IMG] anyhoo those are all in the works for a hatch this month [​IMG]

9. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    this is gonna be my first hatch... my hens aren't laying enough eggs right now, so i'm getting some from my friend and neighbor... that way i can see how good this DIY bator really is... i don't want to hatch out 6 eggs only...

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have both right now but I am done ordering eggs for awhile. Out of 60+ eggs I only have 10 left - all duds. I've only had one chick hatch too. It's very disappointing but the nature of how it goes with shipped eggs I've been told. The air sacs get so messed up. I never really knew how much until I candled my own eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by