Are you having problems with something eating your chickens and eggs ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by arlice, Aug 4, 2010.

1. arlice

arlice New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    I had many chickens and roosters,, but something was killing them off one by one.. I wasnt sure what the culperate was since i even had a fenced in yard....Well finally i bought a trap and it didnt take me long to catch it.... It was the dreaded raccoon.... they are very smart and determined to get to your eggs and chickens... they even climbed my chicken coup fence and pushed in my sliding door... I had to put a cinder block in back of the door so they couldnt push it in..... Since then in 5 months ive caught 8 more raccoons.... Ive never had a problem with any other animals messing with my chickens or eggs besides those nasty very clever raccoons...

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Are you "dispatching" the coons, or releasing them? If you are releasing them, and it is less than 15 miles from your chickens, you may be catching the same coons. Coons travel in about a 15 mile radius, so if it's catch & release, take them for a nice, LONG drive! [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Relocating animals is illegal. It spreads diseases that normally wouldn't travel so far and so fast. A rabid animal is generally so sick that it doesn't go far, but if it is transported by some "good samaritan" then the illness has just leaped across 20 miles with ease. A relocated animal also has no way of fending for itself in an unknown territory. They frequently starve to death or are killed by the resident predators. Neither death is particularly pleasant. If you trap, then you have an obligation to dispatch your victims in the quickest and cleanest way you can.

4. arlice

arlice New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Umm lets just say I know for a fact they are all different raccoons... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by