Are you KIDDING me????

remuda1

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Granbury, Texas
Please tell me what is the earliest you've had a hen go broody???? I have one that has been laying for, at the most, 2 weeks. I think she's trying to go broody!! There are three of them and yesterday there were no eggs. I have three nest boxes, and of course this morning, it looked like rush hour in L.A.......... One of them was having a fit to get in a box but one of the others was in the one she wanted...... Long story short, she finally got in "her" box and just now after three hours, I made her get up. There was an egg under her and I made her go outside. I haven't been back out to see if she's back in the nest, but is it possible that she's wanting to go broody at this early stage?

She's a cuckoo marans that is about 23 weeks old.

Its possible but its more likely she is just working on laying an egg. I have a BO that regularly spends 3-4 hours at a stretch on the task. Since she is so new to laying, she may still be figuring it all out.

My Silkie laid her first 7 eggs over 11 days and then went broody. I ordered some fertilized eggs for her hatch some eggs and as soon as her babies were out of the nexting box she laid 5 eggs and then went broody again. Again, I let her hatch some babies who are still with her, but the next time I'm probably not going to encourage more hatching. She seems to be pretty single minded, though.
smile.png

My poor little old english game hen (bantam) sat for two days. I thought "wow...she wants to be a mom, how cute!". Then I found out she was sitting on a golf ball the whole time. She just started laying a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom