Are you next?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Are you next? Be sure to read ALL the comments before you make a decision on how you feel about this.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Kinda makes you want to throw up. Where did our civil liberties go? If ANY of her rabbits are dead or missing when this goes to court, she should be able to sue the pants off the authorities and "do-gooders" who took her rabbits out of their controlled environment. I bet she has greater losses in the end.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    At times practical, acceptable animal standards do not seem to satisfy those of some of the more self righteous.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Is there any way to help this woman? Good Lord. My birds are kept in a hotter climate...

5. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Is there any lawyer association for breeders that could help her? Like the Home School Legal Defense Association, but for animal breeders.

6. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    My city neighbors called on me. They also stated I was cat hoarding, not feed or watering my animals, yaddah yaddah yaddah.

Animal control asked to come in...stood in the doorway and sniffed and said, OK your not hoarding, can we see the outside animals?

I was given a warning because my bichon/pom mix needed to be groomed (REALLY???) and I had not done my weekly bottle sterilization (summer) for the rabbit bottles.

City people need to get out of the county and out of our yards and business.

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I can't read the comments until I get to a desktop, but the article is lacking. For temps, if these were long-haired rabbits and if they were close together in a poorly ventilated area and some with no access to water, then that is concerning. Not enough information was given though. There is not much info on the dead rabbits. How many were there, did they have access to food and water, what was determined to be the cause of death, how long were they dead for, etc. Then there is determining if this is a hoarding situation, which the number of animals has little to do with hoarding (often, that seems to confuse people). Again, there is not enough information. The cages were described as full of feces, but photos would help show what is meant by that. Maybe the comments cleared something up, but there just isn't enough information to make me think one way or the other on this.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Hmm. What an unusual coincidence...the very first call to the new hotline nets 200 animals (showing no sign of abuse or filth [​IMG])...doesn't seem like that could have been better timing even if it had been planned that way.

eta: I couldn't see any comments there on the story.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I guarantee you she will end up sueing to get her money back from all the money she spent on those rabbits.
    All of the barns here easily get to 90 something inside theres fans and water for them and they can go outside wheres theres shade and a breeze if they want but we cant afford to put A/C in the barns.

We've been reported also by our neighbors that thought we were hoarding chickens but when the Animals Officers came they looked at everything and made a report that they had water, feed, clean bedding, everything was nice and neat. They even brought the neighbors over to show them and they were quite suprised when they were proved wrong.

10. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Quote:I hope she does and wins.
    The sad thing is she will never get back all the time, effort and years shes spent developing her bloodlines and reputation.
    This makes me so sad.
    I cant imagine how I would handle that happening to me.
    At times with litters I can have close to 100 rabbits at a time, and even with constant cleaning there is always going to be a new poo ball that falls.

[​IMG] sad [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by