Are you "ready for HD TV?"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm not.

I don't really like to watch much commercial TV, mostly the news & weather, and sometimes a little Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray just for company while I'm in the kitchen. The kids don't have regular shows they must watch, sometimes a nature program or America's Funniest. Mister watches the news & weather, and some sports.

I've never been able to justify the cost of cable TV for us. Of course I know there are lots & lots of great programs there, fantastically educational things on the nature, science & history channels, plus lots of great entertainment. But it's almost too much of an overload of choices, plus I know with my cheapskate tendencies that if I were paying $50 a month for TV, by gosh I'd make sure we were watching our money's worth each month!

We are able to get all sorts of DVDs & videos from our public libraries that provide all the TV time I feel is healthy for us to have. And they've been playing well on the funky old TVs I've gotten from FreeCycle & the thrift stores.

But now we're being warned to "get ready for HD TV" and some of the stations are already giving spotty reception as they prepare themselves for the switch. I am not sure what to do.

I know there is supposed to be a converter box you can buy, and even get a $40 voucher for. But I don't know how much more we'll still have to pay, and then if it will work with our TVs and the less than optimal reception in our neighborhood. Or if we'll have to add a big rooftop antenna or something.

I'm telling Mister and our teen to do the research & the legwork for this because if it's up to me, I wouldn't mind doing without TV for a while. I could get my news & weather from the radio or computer, and play music while I work, and watch DVDs & videos. And if/when there's something really essential on TV, we can watch with a friend.

What do you think? What are you doing?

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I heard through a friend of a friend who used to work in military intelligence that they had played with the idea of subliminal suggestion for years, but never got very far because tv's couldn't carry the right signal to use it. The person said the new digital signal could be used that way. [​IMG] I don't know if I believe it but I do wonder.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I will be selling tinfoil hats on eBay for $29.95......get yours NOW!!!! LOL

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Our local Walmart has converters for about $40, but we paid $60 and got a better one. Our signal strength isn't good enough to get more than 2 channels on digital though, and neither one is a major network. Our reception is so poor and spotty now that we can't rely on being able to get a show we want to watch. We would have to put up a tower and buy a new antennae and rotor. Our TV days are numbered.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I will be selling tinfoil hats on eBay for $29.95......get yours NOW!!!! LOL

Thanks, but I already have one. [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Do you think these converters are worth the expense, even with the discount, and the time & extra expense & effort to add a big antenna, just to get an old analog TV to work? Or would it be better to either hook up to cable or buy an HD TV?

I really don't want to throw money towards our old TVs to try & get them to work. I don't think the results would be worth it, we'd probably only be able to get a few channels to come through. I think we should just save that $$$, take a break from TV, and perhaps some day get a new HD TV or a good deal on cable.

Until then, I'll work on endearing myself to the friends who have good TV systems, so I can go to their homes and watch the few essential shows each year. Perhaps work out an Egg-Per-View system.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

We aren't, and probably won't bother. All we get is fuzzy pbs anyway. We mostly watch Netflix DVDs and there are lots of programs to watch legally online now (like the Daily Show, yay!). I too am way too cheap for cable.

8. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I am NOT ready. I have 2 TVs and both are at least 10 years plus old. I get 3 channels with just the antena. I guess I need to look into getting the converter box...... [​IMG]

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've just been ignoring the tv commercials, throwing out the junk mail and largely canceling any pop-up on the receiver about it.

like most of us, i shall wait until my tv's stop working, then will be all outraged with pitch forks and fists in the air saying we were never warned

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Every time I start looking at them, I get so confused with all the different variations. I've done it a few times now. Each time I end up leaving the store frustrated. Maybe I'm thinking too much...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by