Are you selling a horse?

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
lau.gif

This was in this morning's Craigslist...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/grd/733595326.html

OMG... I just about pee'd my pants!

*edited* apparently it was flagged for removal... it was "How NOT to sell a horse in Alaska"...it ragged on people for posting photos of horses that were in bad shape standing in pens that hadn't been cleaned in years, etc, yada yada... Basically how not to present your (old) horse for sale if you were serious about selling it.

It is sad... I've noticed a marked increase in the number of large livestock for sale all over the state. It's expensive enough to keep chickens, I can't imagine how expensive it is to keep horses now.
sad.png

Last edited:
It was flagged. What did it say?

I am sort of sad that feed is so high that so many have to get rid of their horses. It's the same here in my area. Craigslist has so many horsed on it right now.
One family was saying that they are going to send theirs to the meat factory if someone doesn't buy it by Friday.
sad.png
How said is that?

"The good horses on Craigslist (alaska)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-06-26, 2:02PM AKDT

Bearing in mind that ponies live another 10-15 years longer than horses, I thought I would counter some recent ads with praise...

Here follows the list of horses whom I would go look at if I did not already have my own.

#1 [email protected]
#2 [email protected]
#3 [email protected]
#4 the icelandics @ 745-0220
#5 [email protected]
#6 [email protected] I have actually gone an looked at these horses and they are high quality even for state side.
#7 [email protected] but not for that much, great photos and marketing though!
#8 [email protected] right price, good age, and IMHO they do best if not heavily ridden until this age anyway
#9 [email protected]
#10 [email protected]
#11 [email protected]
#12 [email protected] not too old yet, but please plan to be his last owner...raise your grand kids on him?
#13 [email protected]
#14 [email protected]
#15 [email protected]
#16 [email protected]
#17 [email protected] the right price for her training and lack of papers, clean horse nice facilities, didn't expect to see her under saddle
#18 [email protected]
#19 [email protected]
#20 [email protected]
#21 [email protected]

as you can see there are good horses and good owners here in ak. Pictures sell, esp pictures of a clean horse with a clean background doing something under saddle. "

This is another followup... the original post is gone.
sad.png

Last edited:
Difficult for you to send it for meat unless you are near the border of Canada or Mexico since the U.S. passed a law making horse slaughter illegal in this country.

While the situation is controversial, and I AM a huge animal lover, this law was a badly conceived idea. Even AQHA did NOT back this decision. People are now releasing their horses in the desert and open country and abuse is on the rise, as was predicted by the more practical thinkers. Sometimes I wonder about fanatical animal activists. You're going to see a lot more sad horse stories as this legislation is only a year old and the effects are just starting to become visible.

I do not support irresponsible breeding or overbreeding, but I think that slaughter at least provided a more environmentally sound alternative to horse euthanasia by needle. We needed more strict laws for transporting meat horses AND practices at the slaughterhouses.

Big Sigh.....stepping off my mounting block. Gonna go pet my horses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom