Are you still waiting for your 1st egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenOlympia, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ChickenOlympia

ChickenOlympia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I am. I have 10 girls 22-23 weeks, 6 different breeds-and NOTHING!!! I love my girls, but I want them to be more than ornamental. I've had egg song, squatting, beet red comb/wattle, etc. and still no eggs. Lights, golf balls in the nests, nice roomy coop, etc. It has to be soon, right?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you have heard the egg song, then it will be soon.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] yes i am!

4. lovemychickies

lovemychickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    It depends.... some of my girls started at four months, some waited until almost eight.

Sooner or later, they'll start leaving you better presents!!! Promise!!!!

PS... Unless they're cuckoo marans.... I've forgotten when I got them, but it was a loooooong time ago!

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am still waiting on colored eggs--My 2 Ameraucanas are 32 weeks old and not one egg, their comb has NO color, they avoid the roo like he has bad breath and wears double knit jump suits.......

My 2 EE are 28 weeks old and their combs have just started to get a hint of color and I noticed the roo doing the "two step" for one of them this morning---maybe soon...

My brown egg layers (Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds are lay almost every day now---they didn't start until they were 25-28weeks old....

6. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    eggs, what are those, chickens lay eggs [​IMG]
    Tell that to my 34 week old black bantam Cochin's! [​IMG]

So were building a bigger coop with lights!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by