Are You Stocking Up On Food?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Baymule, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have always gardened. When you have bushels of peas, you freeze or can some for later. When you have an abundance of something, such as fruit, you can or freeze the surplus to eat it later. That is just common sense.

I am not a paranoid end of the earth type. The end Of the Mayan calendar, in my opinion is just that they ran out of room on the rock they chisled it on. [​IMG] But Our economy in in the tank. Worldwide, people are hurting. Governments around the world are going broke. People are rioting over broken promises. I truly hope that it does not get that bad in the USA, but we owe over 16 trillion dollars. We are so deep in debt that is is incomprehensible to me, and the politicians keep borrowing more. It will have to stop at some point. And when it does, where will we be?

I am not trying to get anyone mad or trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I am just asking for an open discussion about your feelings on food prices, buying now because of possible shortages caused by drought or a break down on services.

I live in hurricane country. We go a week or weeks at a time with NO gas,NO water, NO electricity, NO grocery stores open,and food supplies wiped out days before the storm hits. Paniced people fleeing the storm, think the flight of Houston running from hurricane Rita, 3 weeks after hurricane Katrina, and we all know what Katrina did to New Orleans. I live 75 miles north of Houston and it took people 28 hours to get here and they were out of gas. Think they were happy about that? To my small town's credit, we opened schools, churches took people in and we made the best of it.

Even once electricity gets turned back on, it takes several days to a couple of weeks before grocery stores open back up. All meat is spoiled. All ice cream is melted. All frozen food is spoiled. All cold foods are ruined. And all of it must be cleaned up and dumped out. And since businesses are plugged into "just in time" delivery of goods, there is no inventory in the back room to put on the shelf. Not even canned goods.

What I have just described is real, it happens, and I have lived it several times. We are ready for it when it hits. We store water in new large trash cans with lids. We fill every pot, pan and bottle in the house. We are already stocked up on food, so we not only don't go hungry, but also feed friends, family and neighbors. As the freezer melts, we eat really good. haha. For the last hurricane--Ike-- we had a generator, but getting fuel was a challenge. Not to mention the huge oak tree that crushed the house. [​IMG]

Now ask yourself this question. What if there is a crisis and it won't be over in a few weeks? Will you have plenty to eat or will you be hungry? Can you build a fire in the bar-b-que pit or a hole dug in the back yard to cook in? Incendentally, if digging a hole in the back yard, the racks out of the oven work really well for a grill. [​IMG] Ask me how I know. do you have candles or kerosene lanterns and do you have matches or lighters to light them with? Can you walk to them in pitch black darkness and light one up? How much food is in your house and how long will it last you and your family?

Again, not trying to come off like an end of the earth, the sky is falling, paranoid. But food prices are rising and the sky seems to be the limit. Can you feed your family if the food supply gets disrupted for even a week?

1 person likes this.
  2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I don't think you're crazy. [​IMG] People should think more about things like this. If the city of New York lost power, MILLIONS of people would be starving in 3 days. Not weeks, not years. Days. In rural areas where people know each other, and are willing to help out a neighbor, everything would probably be ok. In places where there are MILLIONS of people without food, it is probably every man (and maybe his family) for himself. My family could make it through about a month, probably not as well fed as we are now, before hunting for something. We have the knowledge and mechanics to make it if everything tanks, but how many people out there have that in today's society?? How many people can sufficiently grow, gather, hunt, or even BEGIN to store enough food to make it through a winter?

And I would definately have to find a ROOSTER, as I can't have one now.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    I love your question .... Recently were tv shows on .. Doomsday preppers . They did make me wake up so to speak & realize it doesnt have to be overdone with massive amts of food storage & what nots . I do , do the canning & freezing . But no real idea of how to store water without it going bad . Have now learned how to do so along with canning butter too !!! My goal has been keep enough on hand for at least 6 months if not longer for family , friends & neighbors . Now my fear is .. What if .. What if fire destroys my food storage ? Or tornado blows it all away ?? I am a firm believer the LORD will provide for me but also he expects me to do so for myself .

4. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Have question on what to store ??? I realize would be each persons preference in food choices , but what would be a must have ?? LOL. I found several bags of chocolate i hid at bottom of freezer .. For just incase ya know . :). I had cans of evaporated milk i had to use with expiration date quickly approaching ... Need to replace those for sure . Same story with some beer i hid !!!!! :-D

5. 71stbrew

71stbrew Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    NE OK
    Ok so first post, but I have been following byc for a few months. I just had to comment on this one. Although I am not a doomsdayer persay I have always been of the mind to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I garden, I can, I just got chickens this mothers day (first egg this friday and one a day every day from the same rir from feed store, I hope the rest are as good soon) Hubby hunts (limited sucess). To do all you can to feed yourself is just smart. I do not like to depend on others to feed my family, but our modern world makes it hard. Every little bit counts, got to be ready when the zombies take over lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. 71stbrew

Oct 4, 2012
    NE OK
    Oh and I know how to brew beer and make soap, so we will be clean and snockered at my place.

2 people like this.
  7. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Hence forth, all references to being tipsy and/or drunk will be refered to as "snockered". My husband and I had the biggest *giggle fit* over that![​IMG]

8. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

::stares blankly at the wallpaper and decides she should probably work a little faster on making that garden:: [​IMG]

9. 71stbrew

Oct 4, 2012
    NE OK
    maybe that its just an okie thing, but never thought it too funny. Glad you got a laugh.

10. 71stbrew

Oct 4, 2012
    NE OK
    but honestly the op is right we should all as thinking animals take some control over our own food. I am preaching to the converted here, but those who are content to let big brother feed them expercting it to last puzzle me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by