Are you suppose to worm your meat birds before butchering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stormylady, Apr 21, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Sounds like a stupid question but..... are ya? I know that meat birds are only suppose to live about 6-8 weeks before you butcher so doesn't give ya much time to worm in and get it all out of there systems. Picking up some meat bird chicks for the first time this weekend and was hoping to get some info , I have read about how you are suppose to slow down the feeding so they don't get sick and die or flip over but haven't read anything on the worming dos and don'ts thanks so much!! Sandy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    You don't want to do that. As for feeding, I do a 12 hr on 12 hr off with my broilers and then no food for 24 hours before butchering.

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thankyou dichotomymom, Didn't see how there was even time enough to do that in their short lives but wanted to make sure. thanks again.

4. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have one more question if ya don't mind also, I have limited space so can the meaties, be put in the same run as my layers if I was to cordin off a small section for them?? and of course make sure they have a shady spot too? Thanks again Sandy

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    As long as they have their own food, that's no problem at all.....I keep mine "together" also!

6. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Thanks again, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by